Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:11 AM   #1

Last week as we were coming back to the car, we heard this sound coming from across the street that sounded like kids playing on scateboards so, we went to take a look...
somebody had taken an old ware house and turned it into a nice little place for the young people to hang out and use there bikes and boards. it wasn't to busy so I only took a few shots and left. I'll go back one day when there is more action and see what I can capture then...

GW :bye:

First shot. one down and 4 to go...

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:44 AM   #2

Good idea for using the space. The town I work in was setting up an outdoor skateboard park for the kids. There was controversy over who was responsible for injuries, though.

Nice action shots. I was trying some of the monkeys at the Museum of Science and was getting frustrated.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:36 PM   #3

Hey Patty,
Thanks for commenting. I think it's a pretty good way to let the kids entertain themselves and stay out of trouble. like you say though, the biggest drawback to these types of programs is the liability issue. to my way of thinking it cost less in the long run to provide them with a place to do there thing than it does to let them run around unsupervised getting into trouble...
:-?
GW:bye:
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:24 PM   #4

Neat shots! They put in an outdoor skate park near where I live, and the kids love it (mostly paid for by donations and fundraising activities by some of the parents). I'm all for them - I've seen what skate boards can do to tile stair step treads and benches when kids try to use them for ramps - it can get very expensive to repair. It's much better for all involved if there's real ramps to practice on.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:10 PM   #5

I hope the warehouse owner has good insurance....looks like an ambulance on premises is needed here!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:59 PM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I hope the warehouse owner has good insurance....looks like an ambulance on premises is needed here!! LOL

Dawg
ya know Dawg, you aint far from wrong. fortunately the fire station is only a block away!:G
I hadn't given it much thought till a while ago, these youngsters aren't wearing any protective gear at all, that seems a bit odd. you would think they would require it for insurance
.:-?
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:08 AM   #7

i dont recall as a child wearing any safety gear
getting hurt was part of the fun (kind of) and part of growing up

as the father of a couple of older skaters i have had heaps of opportunities to take photos of kids skating, and on the whole i find they enjoy being photographed and seeing the photographs, so you could make a few friends her

one thing i learnt
NO bum shots

oh
and the Pentax fisheye can really get you in there with some 'different' shots
heres a fisheye of my youngest doing a "nose grind" (i think)
http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/de...?image_id=3226
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:08 PM   #8

Hey John,
I enjoyed looking at your photos. that 10-17 is a nice lens, it's near the top of my list for my next lens. still debating weather to get that one or go for the bigma first...
:?