Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2009, 6:01 AM   #1

and of course I brought some photos with me. Be my guest here:

- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=959030

and here:

- http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...jump_to=959039

for some small series of butterflies and zoo pictures.

This time I did better with the butterflies as I got at least some decent pics. I am also quite happy about the performance of the lens+TC combo I used in the zoo - what do you think?

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:16 AM   #2

I think you did well. Nicely done Th.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:59 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The butterfly pictures are outstanding! I can't tell that you were in difficult lighting..the color, contrast and sharpness are outstanding. Did you do much post processing? Also,Do yo mind sharing what lenses were used?Also great performance by the DL2!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:30 AM   #4

Thank you jelpee and Dawg!
Quote:
The butterfly pictures are outstanding! I can't tell that you were in difficult lighting..the color, contrast and sharpness are outstanding.
I used custom WB because I knew from my last tries that none of the standard settings nor the auto WB would do a good job. That might show here and contribute to image quality.

Quote:
Did you do much post processing? Also,Do yo mind sharing what lenses were used?Also great performance by the DL2!
Actually not much postprocessing, as I use an old IBM T22 laptop as image store, and with 512MB RAM, a 20MB harddisc and an older 600 (or 800? can't remember) CPU running WinXP is already an adventure, to say so. I used PL32 for everything, asRAW converter and postprocessing tool. Due to hardware limitations I used only basic tools after the RAW conversion like image resizing/smoothing for grain removal, color noise reduction (PL32 function), histogram works, median filter for details and adaptive noise removal in the L-channel to clean the final image, which helps with image size. With RAW Therapee and the full postprocessing job these might look even better

I wish my DL2 had image stabilisation and ISO100 to be honest. But that's not what you asked for.

Iused fast lenses here to keep ISO low and still get a usable shutter speed. Worked with Vivitar 24/2 (mostly at f/2.8-f/4), Pentax 85/2 (mostly at f/2.8) and Pentax K135/2.5 (mostly at f/2.5..f/4). I tried some combos with TC, as lots of nice looking butterflies were far away, but results were quite bad. I tried to keep shutter speed faster than 1/100s, but sometimes I had to go down to 1/60s even with these fast lenses. ISO800 shots show a huge difference in image quality and I will avoid them next time... this only works in broad daylight, not in such a dim place (dim as in 1/60s at f/2.5 to get a somewhat underexposed picture, that's far from being well-lit imho).

Unfortunately I got rather thin DOF, but you can't get everything. If you are interested, I can give a ISO200/800 comparison. Also one shot of a blue butterfly is still missing here, have to postprocess it first, but the color is just breathtaking (well - it was in real life, hopefully the image can show a tiny bit of this).

Yours,
Th.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:19 PM   #5

I agree that the butterflies are really wonderful - I've never managed anything even half that nice. And yes, SR is very nice, but not sure it would make a huge difference here - I would think your limitation was how likely the butterflies would stay still and you'd need a faster shutter speed regardless.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 5:16 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I agree that the butterflies are really wonderful - I've never managed anything even half that nice. And yes, SR is very nice, but not sure it would make a huge difference here - I would think your limitation was how likely the butterflies would stay still and you'd need a faster shutter speed regardless.
True, but according to some old rule of thumb with a 135mm lens I should aim for at least 1/135s - not taking into account the 1.5 crop factor. After a while holding that 1/60s became difficult and I messed up some good shots because of shaking. That's why I was wishing for SR.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7

I updated the butterfly series here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

What do you think about the colors? I used custom WB all the time.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 12:59 PM   #8

nice pictures, i think i like the owl best

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:25 AM   #9

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
nice pictures, i think i like the owl best
Yeah, the owl is special to me, too!
Old Feb 12, 2009, 2:32 PM   #10

lovely pic's TH