Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:42 PM   #1

it was still snowing when i took most of these, but i couldnt wait for it to stop i was to excited :-)

all taken with the kit lense in my local park

my daughter

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:43 PM   #2

and a few more

Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:44 PM   #3

For maybe the first time in my life you have got me wishing for snow. What we have here weatherwise is what Britain is famous for.:sad:

Your pictures are all very nice. My favourite is the fence. Did you pp to get the gradually darker sky in the pictures?

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:25 PM   #4

Very nice Dave,
I like the fence too, and the next one with what looks like maybe a painted bunting?
nice touch of color.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 11:44 PM   #5

Very nice shots! Its always fun to shoot in snow, though I find the light very difficult. Your fence is nice, but I also like the tree above it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 2:41 AM   #6

thanks

i did find it very difficult, the camera when left to its own devices just tended to make everything grey, thank goodness for raw mode and a bit of fiddleing with photoshop.

Kjell: yea i used the grad filter in photoshop raw to add some balance,because some of the skys were just sowhite and plain.

my bird pictures look a littlepoor i thought,compared to what normally gets posted by people on here, but i was stuck with the kit lense and didnt want to risk swapping lenseswith allthe snow falling.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 3:59 PM   #7

For snow pictures, always set a +Ev - the meter does try to make things mid-grey, and the reflected light from the snow (not that there was much in your pictures) will confuse it further. Try at least a +.7 or more when you are in those shooting conditions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:05 PM   #8

Glad you got your wish. I like #2 best, but all are really good. I spotted my first robin and groundhog this afternoon. Soon my wish for spring will come true.
:-)

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:01 PM   #9

Way to go Kaz...these are pretty. But what is snow?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:42 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
For snow pictures, always set a +Ev - the meter does try to make things mid-grey, and the reflected light from the snow (not that there was much in your pictures) will confuse it further. Try at least a +.7 or more when you are in those shooting conditions.
i probably would have played around with the exposure settings and the white balence too, but the day before id been reading an article in digital camera magazine about shooting snow,in which they had said it can be really easy to blow out the highlightsby using the cameras exposure compensation and sometimes its better to alter the settings after, they had a bit of a tutorial on bringing the photo back to life using photoshop, so i didnt really worry to much, as i wanted to have a go myself. shooting raw is great, theres so much thatcan bedone in the "devoloping" stage, i know some people call it cheating, i just think its a normal part of photography.