Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:03 PM   #11

i had a manual one but just did not like it. jack and both agree that there's little3D compared to off camera flash..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:21 PM   #12

If you want a well designed and implemented battery powered LED ring light (which can also function as a non-TTL flash) and don't mind buying one, Look into the Digi-Slave L-Ring Lights. I have the Ultra II - it is variable intensity and can do right and left half illumination (rotate it for top and/or bottom). Works great. Also has a diffuser to soften the harsh light. They have other models, simpler (not too useful) and now more powerful ones. I got mine from B&H, which has been advertising them regularly for a long time. Not nearly as cheap as the home-made ones, but more usable

http://www.srelectronics.com/
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:44 PM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried the new Pentax ring light?* I was out the other day playing with my flash used wirelessly, with diffuser and reflector and still wasn't completely happy with things.* Plus its a lot of bother.* I was thinking getting the real thing might be worth it.* I've just never seen anything taken with it so don't know if I would like it any better, though.* I often think the limitations I see are my own as a photographer.
Hi Harriet,

I know that the Pentax ring light has been intriguing you. . . but you might want to wait a little. I saw this when trying to get more info on Metz flashes. . .

http://www.metz.de/en/press-center/p...on-15ms-1.html

It's P-TTL wireless remote compatible, able to be triggered by wireless capable pop up flashes (*ist D, K10,or K20) so should be about as automatic and compact as possible for such a unit. . . but will probably be expensive (not that the Pentax isn't :roll: ) I think that more alternatives will become available as time goes by.

Right now, I'm looking into very small digital auto slaves on a twin flash macro bracket as a lower cost alternative -- just started looking into the available alternatives, so it'll probably be a while before I put something together. . . I'll post something when I get further.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:25 PM   #14

I saw something about a Metz ring flash while looking around today, trying to find a review of the Pentax. I hadn't really looked into it, but now that I've read their release, all I can say is wow! I'm more curious than feeling a need for a ring flash, so it would be no problem to wait for a while (tripod is much higher on my list of priorities). Just hope some people start buying them and post examples.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:24 AM   #15

Thanks for the links penolta & Scott, both are of interest ... I have them bookmarked. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:24 AM   #16

Thanks for the links penolta & Scott, both are of interest ... I have them bookmarked. ... Jack

Hm...mm, ... Sorry about the doubledouble post, I haven't a clue how that happened. J
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 5:10 PM   #17

jachol wrote:
Quote:

Hm...mm, ... Sorry about the doubledouble post, I haven't a clue how that happened. J
i like the flexible.. i just might do one..

looks like jack got hit with the double post.. eheh , still gets me also..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote