Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:04 AM   #1

First time I have seen a Snowy Owl in my area.
Attached Images

dwssas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2

Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird. By the way, it looks like you have a bit of dust on your sensor (time for the air blower) - it's easy to clone out the two spots and it would make a big difference with what is an outstanding shot!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:58 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great shot...beautiful subject and color composition. I think the bit of snow on the post adds a nice touch...goes with the subject of a Snowy Owl! I noticed the bit of dust as well...follow Mtgal's advice.

I have yet to see an owl in the wild...I always figure they are hard to locate in the daytime based on their nocturnal nature. Of course the day I see one, I probably would not have my camera handy!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:19 AM   #4

Cool! In a double sense. As jelpee says, the snow on the pole puts the owl in context.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:26 PM   #5

Thank you for the tip on the dirty sensor. Its never been cleaned before. I thought it was a flaw on my computer screen. Live and learn.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:07 PM   #6

Definitely not! The good thing is that it's very easy to deal with - much easier than the computer screen. Get a hand air blower (I have the Giotto Rocket Blower and like it very much) and blow some air on the sensor. As far as your awesome picture, what software do you use? In Photoshop and Elements, there's a tool that looks like a bandaid. Use that to cover the two spots and the dust spots will disappear. 2 seconds and you won't even know the dust was ever there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:38 PM   #7

Mtngal. I use Picasa to edit my photos. I have tried many other programs and have come to the conclusion that I am not into post processing. Picasa suits my needs even though I know with a little extra work the pics could be better. However I know where you are comming from and you are absolutly correct. Once again I thank you for the comments and suggestions.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:58 PM   #8

Nice Shot
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:14 PM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Definitely not! The good thing is that it's very easy to deal with - much easier than the computer screen. Get a hand air blower (I have the Giotto Rocket Blower and like it very much) and blow some air on the sensor. As far as your awesome picture, what software do you use? In Photoshop and Elements, there's a tool that looks like a bandaid. Use that to cover the two spots and the dust spots will disappear. 2 seconds and you won't even know the dust was ever there.
So that's what the little bandaid icon is for! :idea:

Really beautiful pic of a sensational bird.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:14 PM   #10

Hi dwssas,

I've never seen any owl in the wild. . . not that I haven't looked.:?: Do you live in a relatively rural area?

A very nicely done shot, especially in what looks like pretty bright sunlight!

One more thing to add to Harriet's tip on blowing the sensor clean. Be careful not to touch the sensor with the blower tip and keep the camera pointed down while blowing so it's more likely that the dust will drop out, rather than falling back down on the sensor or staying in the light box where it could become a problem again.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote