Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:17 PM   #1

If spring is so close, how come my jeep looked like this when I got up this morning?

And how come the railing on my back deck looked like this a few minutes ago?

And I looked like this?

I just hope that I can get to work tomorrow!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:48 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great series...looks like nice wet snow at that! One of these days, I'll summon up the courage to take my K20D and DA* lenses out in the rain/snow! The self portrait is a good one (you may want to flip it around so that the writing on you glove does not look like it was shot through a mirror)!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:13 PM   #3

I considered doing that, but it's not exactly great photography so I didn't bother. While its wet snow, it's lighter than it sometimes is - the only part that was difficult to shovel was the berm left by the snow plow. Can't complain at all - we have power, the satellite dish is low enough to wipe off when it fills up with snow and the internet connection still works. Who cares that they've closed the freeway and there's no way off the mountain at the moment?
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:51 PM   #4

Harriet, there is a reason I live in the South, lol. :G

Great series of photos. I really can't relate to that amount of snow. I've seen that much snow less than a dozen times in my life.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:15 PM   #5

While we don't always get this big of a storm every year, they aren't unusual. We go out and shovel snow, drink coffee and wonder when they'll re-open the 5. I just thought it was so funny since you had just posted those lovely flower pictures, and people don't think of California and snow together.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:27 PM   #6

The groundhog here in Pa. said 6 more weeks of winter. I sure am glad the snow we had on the ground is gone. I don't think you will have any trouble getting to work. That's what jeeps are for!!!

really good photos
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:07 PM   #7

My my Harriet, what big eyes... I mean what a big eye you have!
I love the self portrait!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:24 PM   #8

Wow mtngal, when it comes to weather, you get it all. Your pics are a fairly common sight in northern New England, but I certainly don't think of seeing substantial amounts of snow in SoCal! I just returned from two days of snowboarding with my daughter. It was great fun, but I'm really sore. I'm actually looking forward to going to work tomorrow -- I don't think my legs could tolerate a third day on the slopes.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:58 PM   #9

I'm like mtnman; I just don't think of snow and Southern California in the same thought. However, the fact that you have that much climate variation makes me think I would find your mountains a very beautiful place.

In this area, because the cities and highway departments don't have snow removal equipment, an inch of snow is enough to bring life as we know it to a halt. I would, however, gladly trade a beautiful snowfall like you got for the ice storms that we tend to get. I've talked to friends and relatives in North Arkansas who were without power for more than a week during the recent ice storm.

I couldn't help but think, however, looking at your self-portrait. I don't even own anything as warm as your coat and gloves.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:42 PM   #10

Steve - it will depend on how icy the roads are tomorrow. It looks like there won't be any trouble, the I-5 has been re-opened and the roads are all plowed. It just might take longer than normal to get off the hill as there's always a couple of spots that will be icy.

Thanks, GW - the DA*50-135 is pretty impressive, and large. Even more impressive when you notice how much snow is on the hood!

mtnman - my back and arms are going to be as sore as you will be - I spent quite a bit of time shoveling snow. The berm from the snow plow was really heavy, sticky, wet snow. I'm really out of shape for that kind of thing!

Paul - The coat is down, I found it at an Eddie Bauer Outlet store one time. Best, warmest jacket I've ever had. The gloves are snow/ski gloves. I also have a pair of lighter leather gloves that are lined and more form-fitting. I can operate the camera very well with them on, and when my hands get cold, I can either put the ski gloves over them (the ski gloves are roomy but not huge) or put them in the hand-warmer pockets. It works well for snowshoeing and other winter photography pursuits.