Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2009, 2:10 PM   #1

i went out this for an hour this morning specificly to photograph birds

i used the SMC Pentax DA 55-300 with flash because the light was terrible, all hand held with a dog attached to my belt yanking me all over the place lol

after having a go myself i feel i must take my hat off to you guys that are doing it all the time, its deffinatly harder than it sounds.

im not in your league but heres some of my best efforts

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:32 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like the compositions in # 1 (Black background) and # 3 (one legged goose). Images look a bit soft on my monitor...were you shooting at the long end of the zoom? Otherwise I'd say a pretty doggone good first attempt!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:11 PM   #3

Hey Dave,
I like them all. #1 my Fav and the goose is great!
hope you don't mind, I took it and played with it a little...

I lightened it a little too much but, hard to get what I was trying for with low res pic.
GW:bye:

"Snip"
nope, after posting it, it really looked bad. sorry.:roll:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:16 PM   #4

Really nice photos for your first attempt. I didn't do real good on my first try. I'm using the same lens you are, and still learning what it can do. It takes a steady hold and trigger finger. That is my biggest problem right now. I kind of get excited and mash the shutter button.

Thanks for posting
Stevie
StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:31 PM   #5

Birds aren't easy at all! Most of my shots are worse than these (and I've been trying off and on for a while), so you did quite well for a first attempt. The more I use the DA55-300, the more I get an idea of where it's limitations are (wide open at 300 is fine in the center, but the edges look strange - stopped down its much better). I get frustrated easily, so I would have tried a couple and then concentrated getting cute shots of the dog.

P.S. I love the goose, even though it's a hair soft.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:25 AM   #6

Not bad at all for as first try. I try not to use a flash as they always seem to be a little over bright and the eyes always pick up the flash. Wait till a good light day and shoot with the sun over your shoulder and behind you. Keep trying...I know I will...I have a long way to go, but the effort is finally paying off a little I think.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:48 AM   #7

thank you for the comments and advice, i see hundreds of geese and swans so i tend not to photograph them, maybe i sould though, the only eason i took that one was because it was standing on one leg lol

heres one i got this morning from my car window, much more colourfull than the geese

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:40 AM   #8

Very nice indeed. Colorful and sharp! Wild ducks can be as colorful really and if in a pond where they are fed often they become tame enough for very colorful closeups.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:30 PM   #9

Looks pretty good for a first attempt. I'm not any good at it. I do keep thinking I should get the bird seed out as Harriet suggested a few weeks ago. I've got the feeders. Just watch it because of the bears in the area.

Keep it up. You'll be a pro in no time.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote