Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:54 PM   #11

OK Ed,
From what you and Dawg say, I think I'll go for it. I like the idea of having HSM

Thanks,
GW:-?
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:25 PM   #12

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea what the IQ difference between the Bigma and the Sigma 150-500mm on the 3-500mm end? I'm just wondering since I'm not interested in the shorter range, if it's worth paying the extra bucks for the bigma?
TIA,

GW:bye:
Hi GW,

Ron Brand (brandx) on DPR has the Sigma 170-500, 50-500, and 150-500, and did a quick comparison -- also with the A*300+1.7x AFA. Since he wasn't shooting "for real", he really didn't come to any conclusions, and looking at his samples, I'd be hard pressed to make any clear distinction between them.

The thread is here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30516501

Personally, I'm partial to a 300/2.8 + the 1.7x AFA, but you probably guessed that already. . . One of the reasons I prefer this combo is that it isn't nearly as long as the Sig xx-500s at 500mm -- and my combo is about a stop faster at f4.8 as opposed to f6.3 or f6.7 -- it really makes a difference.

If you aren't familiar with Ron, he's in Utah, and does a lot of long-range work with Big Horn Sheep and such. In addition the the 3 Sigma xx-500 zooms, he recently got a Sigma EX 500 f4, so he's pretty familiar with these lenses. Of course, the 150-500 is pretty new, so there's not been that much feedback since we're just starting to see signs of spring. . . I feel a kinship with him -- he's always trying new combinations of TCs and such that most have assumed won't work.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:23 PM   #13

Hey Scott,
Thanks for going to all the trouble and all the info!
I'm not positive I made the right decision or not but...
I went ahead and ordered the Sig 70-200mm plus the 2X auto focus TC.
I know it wont reach as far but, will be a faster lens even with the TC and I think it will do the trick. If I'm not happy with it I have 14 days to return it.
:-?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:15 PM   #14

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Hey Scott,
Thanks for going to all the trouble and all the info!
I'm not positive I made the right decision or not but...
I went ahead and ordered the Sig 70-200mm plus the 2X auto focus TC.
I know it wont reach as far but, will be a faster lens even with the TC and I think it will do the trick. If I'm not happy with it I have 14 days to return it.
:-?
Hi GW,

I hope I'm wrong, but the new Sig 70-200/2.8 is HSM only, and I don't think they've come up with an HSM compatible TC yet, so AFAIK, you won't have AF with the TC, and for me, that would not be good as I largely rely on AF on my long lenses.

This 70-200/2.8 + 2x TC combo is relatively popular, but I've personally not tried it. I have the Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X Pro AF2, and this lens is ok with a 1.4x, but IMO, not good enough wide open for a 2x (but I don't have a really high quality AF 2x TC -- so that might be the problem:-)).

If the Sigma doesn't work for you because of the possible AF incompatibility, you could always keep the TC and go with the Tamron 70-200/2.8 instead -- it uses screw drive AF, and IIRC, it might be a marginally sharper -- plus it's lighter by quite a bit.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:53 PM   #15

I'll be in Tampa for the Blues Festival the last day of the show March 22ndIf you want to try out the Sigma 150-500 I have.

I'll also be in Jacksonville for the Blues Festival the first weekend in April.

I love the lens... I never tryed the 50-500mm since it cost almost 200 more and I have everything covered under 150mm.

I live by Panama City Beach if your up my way too.

Here are a few shots I took with it. No Editing except some were resized.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0500%20photos/
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:29 AM   #16

Fl_Gulfer wrote:
Quote:
I'll be in Tampa for the Blues Festival the last day of the show March 22ndIf you want to try out the Sigma 150-500 I have.

I'll also be in Jacksonville for the Blues Festival the first weekend in April.

I love the lens... I never tryed the 50-500mm since it cost almost 200 more and I have everything covered under 150mm.

I live by Panama City Beach if your up my way too.

Here are a few shots I took with it. No Editing except some were resized.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0500%20photos/
Sure wish I could make it over to Tampa today but, I hjust have too much to do, darn it.
I just might get up to Jacksonville in April though!

GW:bye:

Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:20 AM   #17

I won't be in Tampa till March 22 not yesterday.:-)
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:56 PM   #18

Fl_Gulfer wrote:
Quote:
I won't be in Tampa till March 22 not yesterday.:-)
Ha, I wasn't paying attention to the month, just the 22nd. I think I can make it in march, I'll put it on the calendar!
Thanks,
GW