Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:29 PM   #11

I would have said it's a turkey vulture, so now I'm stumped too. Great shots, by the way, GW.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:47 AM   #12

That is one of the coolest pictures I've seen on this forum! Well done.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:20 AM   #13

It is a great picture.

The bird is a Black Vulture - there are two species in the East and South. The Black Vulture has a black head instead of red, a longer bill, a shorter tail, white feathers at the wing tips, and a flatter soaring profile. Turkey Vultures fly with a positive dihedral (wings raised in a shallow Vee). Turkey Vultures feed only on carrion and hunt by smell; Black vultures hunt by sight and feed on fresh dead kills, and may even dispatch weakened or dying prey. Very different birds. In StevieRavon's thread on roosting Turkey Vultures, the three on the top right in the first picture and the two on the left in the second picture are Black Vultures.

But what is the plane? An American Aviation AA-1 Yankee or a later Grumman American version? Or something else? I don't know.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:55 PM   #14

penolta wrote:
Quote:
It is a great picture.

The bird is a Black Vulture - there are two species in the East and South. The Black Vulture has a black head instead of red, a longer bill, a shorter tail, white feathers at the wing tips, and a flatter soaring profile. Turkey Vultures fly with a positive dihedral (wings raised in a shallow Vee). Turkey Vultures feed only on carrion and hunt by smell; Black vultures hunt by sight and feed on fresh dead kills, and may even dispatch weakened or dying prey. Very different birds. In StevieRavon's thread on roosting Turkey Vultures, the three on the top right in the first picture and the two on the left in the second picture are Black Vultures.

But what is the plane? An American Aviation AA-1 Yankee or a later Grumman American version? Or something else? I don't know.
Well of course it's a black vulture, I should have known that, there were about 6-8 of them mingling with the Turkey vultures on the lake shore for a couple days, don't know what was dead...
I got the most interesting series of shots of two blacks doing there courtship dance, very humorous indeed. they were not the best in clarity though. I may post some later...:-?

here is what the sky looked like just as I was leaving work.

cropped closeup...

A few on the shore...

Pen, I don't know what model this plane is but, I'll find out and let you know.
in the mean time, here are a couple shots that let you a little more of the profile, perhaps you can ID it from these?

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote