Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:37 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

One other issue when using the wireless remote: you have to set the K20D to the wireless setting prior to using the wireless remote. Whereas with the wired remote, you can simply plug it in and use it.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 9:38 PM   #12

That radio wireless unit does look interesting. Now I have some choices - I figured I'd buy either/both remotes from B&H and at the same time pick up an inexpensive male to male step-up ring. But it does sound like the unit from Gadget Infinity would actually do everything I want and it would be cheaper than getting both the wireless and wired remote, but wouldn't get me the ring. I have serious doubts about how useful I'd find that ring so I don't want to buy it by itself, but I'd at least like to try it.

Thanks, Scott, for reminding me that the Canon wired remote works with the Pentax cameras, I had forgotten about that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:08 AM   #13

i bought a really cheap one of ebay, it does pentax, nikon cannon etc, im very happy with it, the only limitations ive noticed is u need to aim itinthe general direction of the front of the camera or the back or it wont fire, my advice would be buy one of these because they are so cheap (less than £4) if it doesnt do what you want youve not wasted much money.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:15 AM   #14
Administrator

Gadget Infinity also offers some IR Remotes that should work with both Canon and Pentax models. Here's one that has IR Receivers in both the front and back (so that you can trigger it from in front or behind the camera). It's not going to work as far as the radio controlled remotes though. They also sell them on Ebay (and you'll probably find other Ebay sellers that offer the same products).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...285&page=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:18 AM   #15

Harriet, I have both wired and IR remotes. Wired for tripod work and long (eg Astronomical ) photos is more useful and I think the best first choice. By the way there is a green comet in the morning sky. Time to pull out the fast lens, tripod and wired remote and rememember to set the alarm clock!

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:12 AM   #16

beachboy2 wrote:
Quote:
Harriet, I have both wired and IR remotes. Wired for tripod work and long (eg Astronomical ) photos is more useful and I think the best first choice.

cheers

bb2
I would totally agree with this, especially since the IR is only good from the front on the K100 or *istD_ models.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:20 AM   #17

I also have both - bought off of some ebay seller as a package for something like $10 for the pair. The wireless is a universal, works with just about any camera on the market - only problem is you can't half-press - so you have to focus ahead of time. If you have multiple cameras, the wired one I got is cool as it has a 1/8" jack on the side that you can plug another male-male cable into and fire 2 cameras at the same time

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:19 AM   #18

Hi Harriet,

Through trial and error, I wound up with both. The IR one needs a eyelet for a lanyard or something so that you don't loose it - through some miracle I have not lost it - yet. Also, for long exposures, my thumb got very cramped holding the button down, hence the wired one. I do not have the K20, just the K100 and by using the IR (need to set the menu), I loose the other menu options when in IR remote, which tends to be a problem for me. The wired one eliminates the menu setting and returns all the menu options to me.

So the one item that has not come up per your situation here in the discussion yet, is holding the reflector. Depending on its size and position - you may be needing both hands and thus the wired (with maybe an extension for additional length) or the wireless one would provide greater capability and options for you.

Again, the K100 has limited timing options, so the B mode works great, however to get a consistent shutter time can be a problem with either the IR or simple wired remote. I have come across other wired remotes that you can set for a certain shutter interval, or both a shutter interval and interval between frames.

Hope it all works out for you....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:13 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
And now I'm beginning to regret not getting the Kata 3N1 bag - it has a place to add a tripod, which the Lowepro doesn't. I'll have to think more about all that.
Harriet,

Just noticed that B&H has the Kata 3N1 bag with a $20 rebate right now. None in stock, though.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:01 PM   #20

I'm curious where the tripod mount on the 3n1 is? I have one of these bags, and I don't see where I would put one....

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote