Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:17 PM   #1

I'm sure that no forum members are old enough to remember when the classic radio comedy "Lum 'n Abner" was a national hit, but some of you may have heard it in classic radio reruns. If so, you are familiar with the "Jot 'Em Down" store in Pine Ridge, Arkansas. Yes, Pine Ridge is a real place, through which I passed Friday evening on a school bus on the way to a soccer match, and the building pictured here is Dick Huddleston's Store, on which the radio comedy was based. I couldn't resist clicking a few photos, of which this is the best. I processed it with a color fade from the center in PSE 7.

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:54 AM   #2

reminds me of tortilla flats in AZ. it,s a good place to eat on the way to the drive from ''the drive to he!!''... hey?? ask my wife.. she'd never been on that kind of road and the Valium was a god send. the complete story is too long for me to type...

Roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:15 AM   #3

Paul,
All I remember is hearing mom talk about it...
But, I love the photo!

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:32 AM   #4

Paul,
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, but by the time I was growing up TV had taken over and the radio was mainly for music. I like the photo a lot. It is well taken and well processed! By the way, our soccer season starts in just a week and I am looking forward to getting out of the gym and on to the pitch. Not that I could actually play, but I do like watching those that can.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:04 PM   #5

Well, I remember. All you young whippersnappers don't know what you missed. The radio show ran for nearly 25 years, from the 1930's to the '50's. I had their book as a child: "Lum 'n Abner's Jot 'em Down Store," a fictional catalog of their fictional hardware store in the then fictional town of Pine Bluff. Dick Huddleston's store (across the street from the present replica) in the town of Waters was the inspiration for Lum 'n Abner. The show was so popular that they renamed the town to L&A"S Pine
ridge to attract tourists. I checked on AddAll, and there were over 30 listings for just a few dollars - it was great fun - but printed on cheap newsprint quality paper that discolored and got brittle - I am surprised any survived (they also sell tapes of the old radio shows).

Makes me wonder if Garrison Keillor's Lake Woebegone has been immortalized in the same way yet.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:00 PM   #6

Well, I'm not that old. But, I do remember hearing others speak of it.

Nice image. Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:15 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Well, I remember. All you young whippersnappers don't know what you missed. The radio show ran for nearly 25 years, from the 1930's to the '50's. I had their book as a child: "Lum 'n Abner's Jot 'em Down Store," a fictional catalog of their fictional hardware store in the then fictional town of Pine Bluff. Dick Huddleston's store (across the street from the present replica) in the town of Waters was the inspiration for Lum 'n Abner. The show was so popular that they renamed the town to L&A"S Pine Bluff to attract tourists. I checked on AddAll, and there were over 30 listings for just a few dollars - it was great fun - but printed on cheap newsprint quality paper that discolored and got brittle - I am surprised any survived (they also sell tapes of the old radio shows).
A little clarification......Pine Bluff was, and is, one of the larger cities in Arkansas. Pine Ridge was the fictional town created by Chet Lauck of Hot Springs with his partner Norris Goff. The buildings shown in the photo are the original Huddleston's Store and McKinzie's Store....the only two businesses in the old town of Waters. Out back is a fully functional outhouse (It's not the orignial; the original was destroyed by an errant automobile that ran off the narrow highway through the town.)

Even though Waters was renamed Pine Ridge in 1936 to spur tourism, it didn't exactly spur a boom. Montgomery County doesn't even have a traffic light and Pine Ridge, on the road from Pencil Bluff to Mena, is the most rural part of a very rural county.

Paul
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:11 PM   #8

Pine Bluff was a "typo" (= senior moment) - I have corrected it. Accordint to "sources" ont he internet (which are not always reliable) the McKinzie Store (now the Museum) is original and was moved to the site next to the present Huddleston store, which is across the street from the site of the original and is a "replica." I wasn't there, so I don't know. :?: Which ever it is, it is still neat.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:29 PM   #9

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Pine Bluff was a "typo" (= senior moment) - I have corrected it. Accordint to "sources" ont he internet (which are not always reliable) the McKinzie Store (now the Museum) is original and was moved to the site next to the present Huddleston store, which is across the street from the site of the original and is a "replica." I wasn't there, so I don't know. :? Which ever it is, it is still neat.
I figured as much on the typo, lol. I'm like you on the veracity of internet "sources." I wasn't there, so I don't really know either. I've gone past the place for years and Friday afternoon was the first time I've really looked at it.

Paul
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:36 AM   #10

When I was young in the early 50's we already had a TV and didn't listen to the radio shows much. But when we went to Montgomery to visit my Grandmother we only had her old oak cabinet radio and listened to all the old radio shows. I always will remember the opening to Fibber McGee and Molly...Seemed like stuff just kept falling out of that closet!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote