Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:42 PM   #1

i picked up a set of vivitar automatic extension tubes and have been using them on my 50mm A lense, i had expected the A mode to still work with the tubes connected, but instead it works as if i had a M lense connected with F-- showing on the top lcd.

the mecanism on the tubes works ok, and if i take them off the camera and move it with my finger the apeture rings open and close fine.

so ive come to the conclusion that either im doing something wrong or the automatic just means the lense is kept wide open to allow better focusing untill you press the shutter

can anyone shed some light on this for me thanks
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:48 PM   #2

Not sure this is the solution, but I just had the same thing happened to me yesterday with that lens when I switched it off "A". Maybe if you go into the menu under custom settings, #36 using aperture ring and change it to permitted.

Might be that the extension tube is making it think it's off "A". Or, then maybe it's something totally different. Just a thought.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:01 PM   #3

Thanks patty, id allready changed that setting a while back and ive just left it on all the time.

buti think ive found theanswer to my questionwith the help of google

[*]Mechanical aperture control allows stop down metering [/*][*]There are no electrical contacts and 'A' metering is not possible with the set up [/*]

its not a big deal, they were really cheap, just £15 fom the land of ebay, i was just a little bit confused, i think id just misunderstood the meaning of the word "automatic" in the discription

Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:56 PM   #4

just one more newbie question, is there a way of getting the the wireless flash to work when using an M lense, when i go to the flash settings on the camera it only lets me select flash or red eye.

cancel that one as well lol

ive just seen the nore in the manual which says you cant use wireless flash with a lense that doesnt have an A setting. ill just have to use it as a slave flash
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:59 AM   #5

Yes and yes - you've just found out some of the limitations with manual lenses and extension tubes. My extension tube used to be a manual 2x TC that I took the glass out of, and it doesn't have contacts either. That doesn't stop me from using it with several of my lenses (including my A type macro lens) - they just become manual lenses. You can still set the aperture on the lens itself, use the M mode and the camera will still stop down the lens, the TC will operate the lever.

Not having wireless flash is the biggest limitation I find since I don't have the various pieces of cable you need to use the flash off-camera any other way. On the other hand, the 540 flash is high enough off the camera that I haven't had all that much trouble when I'm using the TC and the macro lens to get something that's more than 1:1. I may buy all the cables etc. later on, but I really don't want tomess with all that extra stuff if I can avoid it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:02 AM   #6

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
i picked up a set of vivitar automatic extension tubes and have been using them on my 50mm A lense, i had expected the A mode to still work with the tubes connected, but instead it works as if i had a M lense connected with F-- showing on the top lcd.

the mecanism on the tubes works ok, and if i take them off the camera and move it with my finger the apeture rings open and close fine.

so ive come to the conclusion that either im doing something wrong or the automatic just means the lense is kept wide open to allow better focusing untill you press the shutter

can anyone shed some light on this for me thanks
Kazuya ... you'll need to modify the tubes slightly, if you check the camera body it has seven contacts, and I'm betting your tubes have only six, the seventh body contact

needs to ground to the metal of the tube. I had the same problem with a set of Jessops full auto tubes, and had to clean off the paint a little on each sectionas

shown in the picture below, I used a Dremel tool, and you will see I've repainted part of the area to clean things up, once done you'll find that with an A lens mounted

thelens info will appear in the display as normal.Your post has reminded me that I need to make a better job of it. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7

thank you for that jachol, unfortunatly my tubes dont have any contacts at all.

likeMtngalsaid it limits the lenses to work in manual only, however its not as bad as i first thought and im getting the hang of doing it myself

Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:55 PM   #8

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
thank you for that jachol, unfortunatly my tubes dont have any contacts at all.

likeMtngalsaid it limits the lenses to work in manual only, however its not as bad as i first thought and im getting the hang of doing it myself

Ah...hh !. sorry I misread your first post, I'm about due a change of specs, looks as if I should make it a priority. LOL. ... Jack
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:55 PM   #9

The dreaded double post ?????. !.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:14 PM   #10

Manual extension tubes can be useful with any lens, as long as it has an aperture ring. I'll give you two examples, both taken today at lunch, and both using an external flash on the hot-shoe. My extension tube isn't a nice set - mine started out in life as a useless 2X teleconverter that my father had bought a number of years ago. It was very poor quality, so (on Roy's advice), I took a hammer to the glass and now have a useful extension tube.

First, here's a picture taken with my Vivitar Series One 105 macro lens set to 1:1. Aperture will be available in the picture.

This picture is full frame, only resized down and a little USM. No cropping at all.

Here's the same subject, shot with the same lens still set to 1:1, only I added the extension tube. I used f16 (I think, since I had trouble with having enough light for f22, even with the flash), and had the flash set to the "A" mode.

This is also the full frame picture, no cropping at all, just resizing. As you can tell by comparing the two pictures, it is more than 1:1. So even though your set of extension tubes are manual, they are quite capable of producing good images (with some practice focusing!).

Some day I'll get a tripod and perhaps macro focusing rails for it. Are the rails worth getting?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote