Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

From today 2-22-09.
Attached Images
 
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

No. 2
Attached Images
 
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

No. 3
Attached Images
 
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

No. 4
Attached Images
 
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trojansoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 3,724
Default

Nicely shot. I always like good eye detail. Downies are among the birds that have been absent from my yard this winter.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 5:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 179
Default

I have four different suet blocks set out for my birds. The Downy woodpeckers are my most prolific freeder. I also get Yellow Bellied Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers at the feeders. I have fairly good pictures of all of them, but have not taken the time to get really good ones. The Downys especially are fun to watch. They are very wary, landing first high in a tree, then gradually hopping down to the food's site. Once at the food they seem to lose much of that caution, and voraciously attack the suet and grain mix. I also cast loose grain mixes on the ground and many different birds eat at that. Unfortunatly, a lot of very fat squirrels eat most of the grain. I collected about ten gallons of unhulled walnuts and five gallons of big acorns to feed the squirrels. They first eat the grain on the ground, then grab a walnut or acorn and scurry off. I suspect they bury most of the nuts and eat the acorns in their nests.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Nicely shot. I always like good eye detail. Downies are among the birds that have been absent from my yard this winter.

Paul
Thanks Paul. The Downies are here but the redbellies and the redheads are a little scarce.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I have four different suet blocks set out for my birds. The Downy woodpeckers are my most prolific freeder. I also get Yellow Bellied Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers at the feeders. I have fairly good pictures of all of them, but have not taken the time to get really good ones. The Downys especially are fun to watch. They are very wary, landing first high in a tree, then gradually hopping down to the food's site. Once at the food they seem to lose much of that caution, and voraciously attack the suet and grain mix. I also cast loose grain mixes on the ground and many different birds eat at that. Unfortunatly, a lot of very fat squirrels eat most of the grain. I collected about ten gallons of unhulled walnuts and five gallons of big acorns to feed the squirrels. They first eat the grain on the ground, then grab a walnut or acorn and scurry off. I suspect they bury most of the nuts and eat the acorns in their nests.

Old Engineer
The Northern flicker is the State bird of Alabama but it is called the Yellow Hammer here as the word Northern was forbidden in years past. LOL Not many around here right now though. I use four feeders. One for the suet cakes and 3 squirrel proof feeders for the black oil sunflower seeds.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
kazuya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,007
Default

when im in the forrest i hear woodpeckers all the time, but i never get to see them let alone get pictures like those, nicely done
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 2:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
when im in the forrest i hear woodpeckers all the time, but i never get to see them let alone get pictures like those, nicely done
They are very wary at the feeders I've set up. They hide behind a tree every chance they get...but once they get to the food they loose that wariness and will look you right in the eye. This one posed for me for nearly 10 minutes on a branch not more than 25 feet away. Just sat there....that is nearly unheard of right there too.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.