Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:04 PM   #1

There are times that something silly and ordinary catches my eye for some reason. This time it was the afternoon sun shining through a square window in an office building stairwell. The way it struck the door with the square within a square and the diamonds (squares on their sides) made me think of this month's challenge. It's not as awesome as some of the pictures others have posted, and its a simple one. In fact, once I saw the picture I wondered if the picture is as interesting as the reality was - let me know.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:58 AM   #2

I like it a lot!
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:54 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Interesting composition and interpretation of the monthly theme! The lighting is beautiful. If you do not mind me making a suggestion...if you have an opportunity to re-take the image, centering the grille around the window opening would make this great picture outstanding!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:18 AM   #4

Something like this perhaps!
Attached Images

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:11 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
Something like this perhaps!
How in the heck did you get from the UKto Los Angeles, re-take Mtgal's picture and post it so soon:blah:.

Great editing of a image!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:56 AM   #6

Getting the light to center on the grille may or may not be possible - it would require measuring the angle of the upper window that provided the light with the door the light was shining on, then going to the astronomical charts to establish when (or if), exactly, the sun would be perfectly aligned with it. That sounds like way too much work for a simple snapshot of a stairwell door in an office building. I originally cropped the shot with an equal amount of dark, but thought it looked just "off". So I cropped the way you see it, thinking this would look more like a "design element". Maybe it would work better if I have the extra dark on the left side (short side for the light) instead of the right side - I'm not much of a graphic designer person.

Or perhaps this is just one of those "almost" pictures - one where theinteresting reality can't be captured properly in a picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:50 PM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
IntrepidWalker wrote:

How in the heck did you get from the UKto Los Angeles, re-take Mtgal's picture and post it so soon:blah:.
Not to mention finding the exact same loaction!!
:G

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:43 PM   #8

Wonderful shot!! The rework by IntrepidWalker is nice but your shot with the slight artifact on the top is the scene as you took it and it gives the photo a believability factor. I really like the photo.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:39 PM   #9

My kind of photo, Harriet. The ones that my husband says, "What is that supposed to be?" But, it's the ones that make you think that I like. Good job.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:24 AM   #10

interesting effect, i think as photographers, all be it amatuer ones, we look around and take much more notice of what we see, like you have done here, i too find myself doing it a lot, i once photographed my coffee table when the sun shone through the blinds and cast stripes on it. i also findwhen i meet people i think about how they would photograph.

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote