Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:50 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I usually don't visit Steve's home page when accessing the forums, but I happen to see the following (postewd on 2/24):

Steve's Digicams Acquired by Internet Brands
February 24th, 2009. -- Steve's Digicams (www.Steves-Digicams.com), the consumer's best source of digital camera information and news, announced today that the website was sold to Internet Brands (www.internetbrands.com), a leading internet media company. Steve's Digicams will be a flagship addition to the Internet Brands portfolio of more than 100 principal web properties.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:45 AM   #2

Jay,

I'm suprised no one responded to this posting.

It will be intereseting what effect this has on things around here. They say change is good...We'll see.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Dennis,

I was wondering that myself:?. In any event, I am curious to learn what the story behind the acquisiton/ sale is and what it might mean (down the road) for folks like us...a fee based forum?????

Perhaps one of the administrators will weigh in on it.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:06 AM   #4

I usually get to the forums through the home page. Like to see the POTD each day.

I read the notice early in the morning and wasn't quite sure what to think. My thoughts are that Steve wouldn't have sold if he thought something bad would happen to us. But, then, our software company at work sold out to another with his same thoughts and we are regretting it every day.

Anyway, I guess only time will tell.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:54 PM   #5

The company's own website lists quite a few owned sites arranged in several categories. Steve's is listed under "Shopping" rather than "Community," which makes it appear that their priority is Steve's camera reviews rather than the discussion forums. They do own a number of forums, so they probably do not intend to dump Steve's forums, Time will tell. Their News page has no announcement of the acquisition, so their priorities are not evident. Steve must have assurances, or I doubt he would have gone through with it.

BTW the announcement has also been posted at the top of the Forum list page all this time - did nobody notice?.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:11 PM   #6

I had seen it posted in a couple of places on the board, and responded to one of them. I'm waiting to see what happens - it might be good, it might be bad. Only time will tell. As long as the board remains well-run and friendly, like it always has been, I'll be happy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote