Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:27 AM   #11

Now THAT'S close! I remember your macro pictures, you taught me a lot about the subject. It's such a fun topic, and there's SO much to learn about it. And, like most things photographic, you need to actually do it to really understand it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:42 PM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Now THAT'S close! I remember your macro pictures, you taught me a lot about the subject. It's such a fun topic, and there's SO much to learn about it. And, like most things photographic, you need to actually do it to really understand it.
H,
thanks for the comp.
i just wish i could get out and shoot more these days..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:47 PM   #13

There are also supplementary lenses, which can be useful in a pinch or if you don't have anything better. Here are some quickie hand-held shots to illustrate (the coin is more worn than the others used above) (5 shots with two different ones on the Tamron SP 90 AF)

1 an inexpensive (=really cheap) +10 (soft and subject to flare) at 100%:
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:49 PM   #14

2 a high quality Nikon 6T (designed for telephotos), no magnification indicated. 100%
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:50 PM   #15

3 The 6T enlarged to 200%
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:51 PM   #16

4 The bare Tamron 100%
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:52 PM   #17

5 The Tamron enlarged to 150% (200 was pixillated)
Attached Images

Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:09 PM   #18

Close macro stuff is fun. I finally went out and got me a set of screw mount bellows and a SuperTak 55/1.8. Not hand-holdable, but you can get really really close

Here are the stamen of a flowering tree blossom....

They look like this normally...

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:23 PM   #19

Penolta - you can see the improvement with the Nikon 6T, though your cheapie dioper filter does better than I would have expected. Of course, the Tamron macro lens is a very good lens, and that helps.

ccallana - how difficult is it to manage the bellows? I found using the reversed lens on the front of another lens quite difficult, even with a tripod. Is the bellows as difficult? Your stamen is an awesome picture!

I played some more with the macro over the weekend (my feather pictures are examples). I found out a couple of interesting things - I would have thought that putting the reversed lens in front of the macro lens would provide more magnification than a non-macro lens, but it doesn't seem to work that way. The focal length of the first lens makes the difference as far as magnification. I used the 77 Limited, 105 macro and my old Takumar (K-mount) 135 (the only lenses I have with the right filter threads) and found the 135 provided the most magnification.

Another thing I found - I have both the M 50mm 1.7 and 1.4 lenses. The 1.4 is quite soft wide open, but is the same as the 1.7 when stopped down. So the 1.4 has been sitting in the closet, unused, for a long time. The one thing I found is that I didn't notice much difference in sharpness between these two lenses, and I get almost no vignetting with the 1.4. So now I'm happy I never bothered selling it, I can continue to use it for macro.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:30 PM   #20

The bellows is fine, as long as you have a sturdy tripod, and there isn't even a hint of a breeze. flower shots are impossible if anything moves. Working distance is minimal. The fine focusing of the thumb screw on the rails is really handy....

Check out this set of pics on my flickr, I did some experiments with some different macro set ups... reversed lenses and such to figure out magnifications....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisca...7603407935780/
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote