Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:33 AM   #1

Yesterday I received a couple of new photo tools. I got the wired and wireless remotes, and discovered that the wireless one is REALLY small - I can see why Paul made the comment about how easy it is to lose. I also got another item, that cost all of $7.00.

First, here's a dime, full frame, taken with the Viv S.One 105 macro set to 1:1 (flash was really too close):

Now here's another full frame picture, also taken with the Viv. I was going to crop it some and let everyone guess what my $7.00 purchase was, but then thought it wouldn't show just how much closer I got with my new purchase because it would have been cropped.

By the way, the red lettering is the Pentax logo on the box the wireless remote came in, and this is the same dime that's in the first picture.

There's a huge amount of vignetting, but that's due to the fact I was stepping down. My $7.00 item is a macro coupler - a step down ring with male threads on both sides. I had to get a 52mm to 49mm threads - the Vivitar S.One 105 macro lens has 52 filter threads, while the M50mm 1.7 has 49mm threads, so when you mount them front to front (the 50mm lens is reversed), you get significant vignetting.

It was fun to play with this, and it worked great with something indoors. I used a Manfrotto table top tripod my hubby bought for me when I had the FZ30 - it's really too small and light-weight for the K20 and two lenses, but it worked as long as I was careful. I tried to use it outdoors, but found it impractical if there's a tiny bit of breeze.

Unfortunately, today was otherwise a miserable day - it started off with me losing my prescription reading glasses, and continued with me dropping my flash at lunch time - dead flash (a 540, no less!). So now I have this awesome macro set-up that absolutely requires good light/flash and no flash to use with it ().
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2009, 6:24 AM   #2

mtngal

Your macro photos are simply magnificent. I have been wondering whether fleas have eyelashes. I believe you could answer this for me photographically. If you don't have fleas at your house, I know a stray dog that probably does. Do you want the whole dog or just a few fleas?

PS: The fleas eat less, but do make their supper itch a lot. The dog will eat a lot, but poops regularly, and that causes a waste problem. Your choice please.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:29 AM   #3

that is realy close, im wonderin what if anything id ever want to see that close up lol

thats bad news about the flash, i hope you can claim of your insurance or something.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:40 AM   #4

Back in the day I use to screw my 50mm 1.4 Pentax lens to my Pentax Spotmatic (new at that time) backwards using the same type of adapter. I got great Macro shots that way but I was always afraid of scratching the rear element of the lens because it stuck out so far.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 8:46 AM   #5

This is my closest macro, just could not get in the whole dime. Used DA 21 mm with DA70 mm reversed in front.

Ed
Attached Images

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:28 AM   #6

I once had a Golden who was allergic to fleas. It was always a constant battle trying to keep up with them, and the poor dog seemed to have a bare stomach most of the time. Then we moved up (literally) up to where we are now, well above 5,000 feet. Dog fleas can't live in high altitudes, so he spent the rest of his life in comfort.

Yesterday evening when I got home, I removed (and charged!) the flash's batteries. It now seems to work fine. I think one of them got knocked out of alignment or something - . So I'm back in the macro business.

Tom - I know what you mean about the rear element. I don't think I'll use this set-up much outside for a couple of reasons: the set-up really can't be hand-held. I can hand-hold the 1:1 macro lens using the flash (sync speed is 1/180, and that's fast enough for me to hand-hold a 100mm lens even at 1:1). I even managed to hand-hold some when using the extension tube. But the couple I tried with the reversed lens didn't work at all, even with the flash.

Ed - Your macro is outstanding! It's given me another idea for a lens combination, but don't know if it will work any better than the one I was using. I'll have to check thread sizes though. Thanks for getting me to think about other ways to go with this!
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:14 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

Yesterday evening when I got home, I removed (and charged!) the flash's batteries. It now seems to work fine. I think one of them got knocked out of alignment or something - . So I'm back in the macro business.

gosh Harriet, I'm so glad your flash is OK! I got this sick feeling in my stomach when I read your first post, knowing how that must have made you feel. With my two fingernails missing, I find that I'm much clumsier than I use to be and really have to be extra careful. yesterday I had my camera literally leap out of my hands! fortunately it landed in the car seat and wasn't hurt.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:10 PM   #8

Wow!!! I couldn't have gotten the first shot, let alone the second.

Glad to hear your flash is okay. I had the same thing happen to me last winter. Dropped it in snow. Wouldn't work. Got home, realized batteries were knocked out of kilter in it. And, I only have the 360.

So, do fleas have eyelashes?:lol:

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:18 PM   #9

I can't research the fleas, since they can't live at this altitude.

All it takes to take indoor pictures like this is a stable surface for the camera (the tabletop tripod I have is barely sturdy enough, but it does OK), a macro lens and some patience for focusing. I'm thinking of coming up with some type of informal light-box, but while I love macro, I'm not much into product type of photography and definitely don't want to spend much money on this.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who discovered the hard way that the batteries can be knocked out of alignment.

GW - I have a bandaid on my thumb (took a flap of skin off, very minor) and I'm sure that contributed to the butter-finger act.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:42 AM   #10

remember this one?? 68mm ETs and a 2x TC on the viv105mm.. FF also.

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote