Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:23 AM   #1

I have tried every which way to get the beep on my K10D operating, but to no avail. After two years without it I am wondering whether it would really serve any purpose if it could be made to work. I use the flashing red dot in the view finder to help me focus, but, even then, mostly rely on my vision of the subject matter to get the best focus. About 90 percent of my shots are made with manual lenses anyway. I would appreciate hearing from some of you readers as to your reliance on the beep sounds, or do you find it sometimes is a nuisance.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:59 AM   #2

I don't know how to turn it on, but it could be dangerous!

When I was photographing this Great Grey Owl the beeping from my DS attracted the Owl and it attacked my camera and I had to physically push it away with my 300mm lens.

I know there is some place in the manual that tells you how to do it, but I can not remember where it is, possibly under custom functions. I just Googled it and it is in the setup menu, there is an option for beep on/off!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:18 AM   #3

To be honest, the first thing I did with the DL2, the K10D and now the K20D was to turn off the anoying beep.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:24 AM   #4

Hi OE,

It's on Page 189 of the K10 manual. Go to the "Setup" Menu, You'll find a "Beep" setting -- Press the > on the 4 way controller and you'll see a list with check boxes next to them. Scroll down to "in-focus" and press the > again to toggle between checked and blank. If checked, then it'll beep. Personally, I keep the beep on for everything, but that's just me. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:28 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:

When I was photographing this Great Grey Owl the beeping from my DS attracted the Owl and it attacked my camera and I had to physically push it away with my 300mm lens.
Hi Tom,

Maybe I'll have to record and play the beep over and over to even see an owl in the wild!! Would that be crazy or what?. . .

Great shot BTW!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:03 AM   #6

that owl does look angry lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:31 AM   #7

As much as I like the beep for the audible aid to AF. Getting used to finding focus by eye is probably a better thing, you don't rely too much on the camera and more on your senses. But if you like the beep by all means try and set it back on.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:22 AM   #8

I've had the K100 and now the K20. Both times I've just left the beep on, but at times wished I'd had it off. Like when trying to get photos of wildlife or even my dog. He hears that beep and it's his warning to hide from me. :-)

I don't know that I actually use it for confirmation any more or not. I usually look for the diamond shape in the viewfinder.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:51 AM   #9

Scott, it worked for me although I was taking photos at a high rate of speed since Great Grays are extremely rare around here.

I was taking photos so fast that it actually sounded like some kind of rodent. Great Grays are Arctic owls and almost never see people so my being there didn't bother him much, which is why I think he had no problem going after the camera that sounded like a mouse.

He would hunt by sound as I watched him and pounce on a snow bank that had no marks on it and come up with a mouse more than 50% of the time.

YMMV!!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:21 PM   #10

I use the beep for focusing all the time - I can always hear it while I don't always notice the indicator in the viewfinder. If I did more wildlife, I'd probably turn it off and leave it off. As it is, I turned it off for a while when I had the DS and got frustrated a couple of times when I didn't notice that the camera couldn't get focus - I wondered why the shutter didn't work. It's one of those personal preference things - if you haven't missed it, don't worry about it. You probably haven't missed anything.

P.S. - Tom, great story about the Great Grey. There was one that hung out at my sister's place, and I got a couple of good shots of it when I was using the Sony F717. Beautiful birds, silent when they fly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote