Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:51 PM   #1

I finally got around to finishing up processing the images I had taken just after Christmas in Lawrence, Massachusetts. This is an old mill town that I discovered years after I moved here that my great grandfather worked in. My mom had never met him.In the process of doing my family history I found him here.

As you can see, it was a very dreary day. So, I've tried to cut out as much of the sky in most as I can. I don't think there was anything I could have done. Anyone know any tricks to bad weather like that?

I can't remember which ones I had posted before, so hopefully these aren't repeats. This first is just a park bench on the side of the old canal.

More images may be seen at http://picasaweb.google.com/nhmom50/...eat=directlink

Patty

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:56 PM   #2

A close up of part of the dam controller (don't know what it's called).
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:57 PM   #3

A few blocks away from the other shots at an old mill building.
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2009, 1:58 PM   #4

Directly across the street from the previous shot. This is the top of the tower about four stories above the ground.
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:02 PM   #5

This is the one I was most impressed with. This shot is taken from two blocks away with the Tamron 70-300 handheld. I had been using my monopod with the SR off, but just couldn't get it. So, went back to handheld and managed this. I'm usually not very steady with the camera with this lens on. In the album I included a shot of the building at 55mm from where I was standing.
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2009, 6:21 PM   #6

Lovely pictures, even for a dreary day (today is like that here). The tower is cool, but you might want to clone out the two spots on the left (dust or rain drops on the lens?). And the iron work on the balcony is interesting - the workmanship of these old buildings often amazes me. They put details and extra decorative accents where today they wouldn't bother.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:06 AM   #7

Thanks, Harriet. Yep, I now see the spots. It was raining that day and the spots should have been on the lens. I hope at least. I still have spots on my sensor on the K100 that we can't seem to get rid of. Even Ritz Photo has tried. I haven't taken a swipe to it as I'm afraid to ruin it. Guess I'd better get over that fear if I'm going to continue with dSLR's.

Yes, the details on the building is what intrigues me about these old mills. It's amazing.

Patty
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:41 PM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Harriet. Yep, I now see the spots. It was raining that day and the spots should have been on the lens. I hope at least. I still have spots on my sensor on the K100 that we can't seem to get rid of. Even Ritz Photo has tried. I haven't taken a swipe to it as I'm afraid to ruin it. Guess I'd better get over that fear if I'm going to continue with dSLR's.

Yes, the details on the building is what intrigues me about these old mills. It's amazing.

Patty
Taking a "swipe" to the sensor was not as bad as I thought actually worked! The cleaning fluid evaporates pretty fast and leaves a clean surface. I finally worked up the nerve to do it after multiple attempts to "rocket blast" it failed. If you do not have a cleaning kit, I'd recommend getting one vs. just using a cotton swab (i.e. a Q-tip).

Nice series of pictures by the way..good architectural detail; historic buildings have beautiful lines and great stories that go with them.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:50 PM   #9

Hey Patty,
I hope you don't mind, I put a little blue in your sky with just a whiff of cloud...
:-)

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:59 PM   #10

No comment Patty?:-?
:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote