Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:45 PM   #1

I'm sure you've all seen the release about the "micro" APS-C Samsung NX series of cameras just announced. To me, this isvery exciting... and the reason I have held off on buying the micro four-thirds Panasonic G1 to complement my Pentax DSLR. I hope Samsung will have a full line of lenses to go with the new NX - maybe in conjunction with Pentax, even if they are Schneider branded. An 18-300-ish lens would probably eliminate the need for a traditional superzoom P&S. I wonder if Pentax will follow suite? One can hope.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:16 PM   #2

Hi Biro,

Personally, I've not been too excited about "EVIL" cameras. I really don't need the compact size since I more often than not have a long tele mounted, so a compact body really offers no practical weight advantage for me. I went to the DSLR from an F30 for birding because of the real time Optical Viewfinder. Even the G1's very advanced EVF still lags more than I'd want.

I can see a place for this class of camera with a couple more generations of EVF development and a filled-in line of lenses. This would be a more natural upgrade path for those who grew up with P&S digital cameras and want more sophistication with the same feature set. This class of camera is where they should concentrate on developing sophisticated Live View and HD video mode, IMO, instead of in DSLRs where the mirror and pentaprism have to be worked around in order to offer these features.

I'd be very happy if the camera makers concentrated their efforts to make each of these types of cameras the best that they can be instead of trying to meld them together. I don't think that an EVIL cam can truly replace a Pro level DSLR, nor should that be the goal of the camera makers. There are things that the DSLR will always do better at, and there are situations where an APS-C EVIL camera will excel. It'll be nice to have the two alternatives to choose from for a given situation.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:43 PM   #3

Hello,

I remember reading somewhere that Samsung was planning to go their own road on camera development. (ie. not just clone Pentax cameras.) My thought was that this was their way to get a bigger market to sell to, since they wouldn't have to steer clear of markets that Pentax sells to.

What would make this camera interesting (and something on my wishlist) is . . .

1) If it had a Pentax lens mount.
2) If it did "not" have a mechanical shutter. (So it took pictures as quietly as a point-and-shoot. That's one of the things I love about my point-and-shoot!!!)
3) Make it work with my Pentax 540FGZ!!! (Off-camera triggering would be cool too, but not expected.)
4) Keep the "B" Mode. (Isn't that one of the things that the Pentax K2000 lost?)
5) And I am assuming it's going to have Liveview + Video mode + Simulate all the other traditional SLR modes (ie. P, AV, TV, SV, M, + the picto-modes)

No. It probably won't be as good as a true dSLR, but you could still have lots of fun even in those situations where you are forced wanting a point-and-shoot's size & quietness!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:05 PM   #4

I agree that it'll be a few product generations before a camera like this can really challenge a DSLR - particularly for seriously artistic work. But this is a quantum leap overmost P&S superzooms. I can imagine having a camera like this for occasions when a DSLR andlens is too big and heavy (or noisy, like Glen points out) - not as an outright replacement. It would be the proverbial second camera. Right now, most DSLR owners are forced to go withthe superzoom (and its tiny sensor) in those situations.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:51 PM   #5

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello,
What would make this camera interesting (and something on my wishlist) is . . .
1) If it had a Pentax lens mount.
A Pentax K-mount is the one thing that is will certainly NOT have. It would be impossible given the more compact size.

The sensor to flange distance in such cameras, the micro-4/3rd's and this "micro" APS-C prototype, is much less that in DSLRs that used lens mounts decended from 35mm film bodies. This is a major part of the designs' advantages.

The hope for Pentax/Samsung users would be that, similar to the micro-4/3rd design which are reasonably compatible electrically with the standard 4/3rd mount, the new mount would be electrically compatible with the current Pentax mount making an adapter practical.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote