Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2009, 2:22 PM   #1

Okay, I'm trying to venture out and use more of the features of my camera and lenses. I usually shoot in AV mode using the camera to control the settings.

I was using the K20D with the 50mm 1.4 lens. I took the lens off "A" as it's been since I got it. Went into the camera and changed the setting to permit using aperture ring. I don't think there is anything else I need to change, but....

Anyway, I had set the lens to f16, but every photo I took yesterday is indicating f1.4 and not in focus. I could see maybe because I wasn't holding the camera steady as I was cold. But, every one of a dozen or so photos is out of focus. A friend had commented it might be because of the snow, but I have some from earlier in the day taken indoors that I'm noticing aren't in focus either. I thought maybe it was because I was too close on them.

This is all new to me. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:30 PM   #2

Yeah,

I was playing around with my Pentax 28-80 FA on my Pentax K100D and took the aperture off "A" mode and was trying to figure that out.

I think I set the camera to "AV" mode and I think it started taking pictures that were somewhat properly exposed.

But since it was at a family get together I didn't have that much time to see if this was the actual solution.

And I ended up forgetting about it until you mentioned that problem right now.

I'll have to remember to play around with that some more.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:27 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty,

THe out-of-focus condition does sound puzzling :?The first thing I would do is to try the 50mm on your K100(?) and see if you get similar results. This will tell you if the issue is with the lens or the camera body. I have not used my 50mm on my K20D, but used it on my DL with no issues.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:55 PM   #4

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Okay, I'm trying to venture out and use more of the features of my camera and lenses. I usually shoot in AV mode using the camera to control the settings.

I was using the K20D with the 50mm 1.4 lens. I took the lens off "A" as it's been since I got it. Went into the camera and changed the setting to permit using aperture ring. I don't think there is anything else I need to change, but....

Anyway, I had set the lens to f16, but every photo I took yesterday is indicating f1.4 and not in focus. I could see maybe because I wasn't holding the camera steady as I was cold. But, every one of a dozen or so photos is out of focus. A friend had commented it might be because of the snow, but I have some from earlier in the day taken indoors that I'm noticing aren't in focus either. I thought maybe it was because I was too close on them.

This is all new to me. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Patty
Before any more is said Patty. Go back to you cameras owner manual and read how to use a lens without A mode in the manual.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:02 PM   #5

The camera won't stop down the lens unless it is in M mode - it shoots wide open if the camera is set to Av, Sv, P or anything other than M (not sure about B - haven't tried it with a manual lens).

However, I'm wondering why it says f1.4 - my camera doesn't show an aperture at all if I don't use an A setting. I didn't think taking the lens off of the A setting would affect the focus, though. I only have one FA lens and have only used it in M mode when I've been using the extension tube - otherwise I always leave the lens on the A. Have you shot some focus charts yet to see what it's doing?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:19 PM   #6

It could be a problem with the electronic contacts between the lens and the camera body. Take off the lens and clean the contacts and try it again. I have PILES of the old Pentax-A manual focus lenses and have never had an issue.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:28 PM   #7

Actually, you know what? You're 100% right. I just did an experiment with my 50mm 1.7 lens. I took it off of the A setting and regardless of what aperature I used, the camera showed 1.7 on the exif info. I actually never noticed this before. Must be an incompatibility in the camera's firmware. Just curious, why don't you just leave it on A and use the camera's aperature wheel instead? That's why I always opt for the A lenses over the M lenses.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:46 PM   #8

And mtngal is also right; I had not switched over to M when I did my quick experiment. So the max aperature was correct. In M mode, the exif does not show the aperature and it does change relative to the lens setting whereas it stayed wide open in other settings.

So, ignore my comment about the firmware incompatibility. I'm just tired. :-)

Hence, your out of focus shots were probably just due to the extremely narrow DOF.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:44 PM   #9

Ok, so you've changed the LENS from "A", and the Camera to something other than Av?? What did you change it to?

If it's no longer Program, Auto or Av, thenthe camera no longer has control over the aperture, so it MAY be showing F1.4 as default. (It should recognise it as F16 though)

Perhaps there's two reasons for your problem.

1. If the camera thinks it's an F16 lens, then the AF will not work.

or

2. If the camera is working ok, but you HAVE chosen F16,and if it was indoors, then the shutter speed would be slow (e.g. 1/8th sec), so you may be mistaking blur due to camera shake for lack of focus.

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:59 AM   #10

patty,
as far as i know, if you aren't using the Av mode(or other auto modes)then you'll have to shoot totally manual. that means you'll need to use the button to get an exposure value or set it up yourself in manual mode.. i shoot a lot of manual lenses. I'll set the Ap to what i want and make the shot, ck the histogram and adjust from there.. H is correct. when you leave any auto mode you'll need to set up everything manually.. i think that's why they list it as Manual...

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote