Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:29 AM   #1

For those that asked I went through my files and here are three from 2005 shot with my *istDS.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:46 AM   #2

All I can say is wow great pictures !!!!
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:39 AM   #3

Great pictures! Great Greys are beautiful birds, and this series is awesome.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:58 AM   #4

Super. That last one looks more like a moth than a bird! :O :-)

Thanks for posting these.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:13 AM   #5

Thanks, he looks like he has tiny leg warmers on.

Tom
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Most impressive. I always fgured owls were nocturnal and therefore would be rare to be seen during daylight hours. I have never seen an owl in the wild...what's the secret to spotting them?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:55 AM   #7

Great Grey Owls are from the Arctic and they hunt during the day time, so if you are where they are they are easy to spot.

In 2005 there was a shortage of food (Lemings) and the Greys came south opening up a great photo op, but during normal years they are extremely rare as far south as Wisconsin.

Other Owls normally hunt at night, but can be seen during the day if you are lucky.

Here is another day hunter the Hawk Owl, also from 2005.

Tom
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:07 PM   #8

wow tom,
i never had looked them up. now i know why we never see them here.. that's one thing i like about the web. it's educational

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:33 PM   #9

I'm not so sure how easy it is to spot them, even when you know they are around. One year I was visiting my sister, helping her clean out her garage. We had been discussing rodents and she said that they had tried buying a plastic statue of a great grey to try to scare away the tiny ground squirrels that had taken over their acreage. It didn't work, so she added it to the stack of stuff for the dump. That afternoon, as we were getting ready to go into town, I looked out at a pipe sticking out of the ground, her yardhose connection. There, on the pipe, was the owl statue. I was all set to give my husband a hard time, when the "statue" turned it's head toward the house.

The next day I was walking in the national forest behind her house. I was very startled to see something large moving out of the corner of my eye - there was the Great Grey, flying silently low in the trees. They are definitely stealth fliers - if it hadn't been for the fact it flew so close to me I would have never seen it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2009, 3:39 PM   #10

You should have been there when I had the one go after my camera. I was using the 300 and all of a sudden it was out of focus, as I looked up over the top of the DS I saw it was flying right at me (it made no noise at all) so I pushed the camera at it and it flew away, but I touched it first with the end of the lens.

I had to walk about a mile on snowshoes to the center of a large swamp to get the shots of the Hawk Owl, although when I got there he just gave me the look in the photo, like "go away, you are scaring the mice away".

Tom