Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:43 PM   #1

The dangers of the weather staying too cold to venture outcan be expensive .........

I accidently won a backdrop kit on ebay and as wondering -

if any of you who have a studio does the quality of the muslin show in pictures.

(solid colors for now)there is a huge price range .I

see lots of reading ahead on basic lighting so extra backdrops are not an urgent need.But if you have a favorite site I would love to look

Chris
biggyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:24 PM   #2

I have absolutely NO experience with studio shooting, so take whatever I say with that in mind. As far as the quality of the muslin showing - I think that would depend on how far away from your subject it is, and what aperture you use. If you use a large aperture and have a decent separation between your subject and your backdrop, it won't matter because the backdrop would be out of focus. However, if you use a small aperture, or don't have enough room to separate your subject from the backdrop, you run the risk of it being in focus and showing the fabric's pattern.

Good luck with sorting out the lighting. Also check out reflectors - I've become a big believer in them since I've played around with the little one I have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:14 AM   #3

A large sheet in neutral gray and then use colored gel filters or colored lights to change the backdrop colors. Another solution some pro's use is a sheet of plywood painted in neutral gray. I used a green sheet here as I had no green light. Sheet donated by my daughter.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:11 AM   #4

I bought a length of cheap cotton sheeting from "Textile Traders" or similar. Mounted on a home made roller on the ceiling of my lounge room (i mean studio).

Picked up a white roller blind at a garage sale, which should also do the trick but not yet installed. May paint it, but will experiment with white background first.

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 9:35 AM   #5

I make my own and then use PP to achieve the desired DOF effect (Mask the subjects, feather the outline, inver the selection and blur the backgroiund works!). I usually get white quilt backing from a Joann fabrics and dye it with RIT dye. The cloth is 108 inches wide and I usually get about a 7 yard length so I have plenty. I also have done twists and tie dye techniques on the cloth prior to getting it in the dye bath...They work out reasonably well for what you pay. I have also dyed material in the washing machine successsfully. This technique will give you a more unifirm color as opposed to the other techniques.

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6

Thanks yall
these are some great ideas I will give the gray with gels a try this weekend that is if fedex man ever gets here:?. and I dont know if I am brave enough to touch my wifes new washer yet

Nice picture Dawg is that three lights ....left.... right ..and backdrop?

Chris

biggyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:53 PM   #7

biggyfry wrote:
Quote:
Thanks yall
these are some great ideas I will give the gray with gels a try this weekend that is if fedex man ever gets here:?. and I dont know if I am brave enough to touch my wifes new washer yet

Nice picture Dawg is that three lights ....left.... right ..and backdrop?

Chris
Yes it is. The lights were homemade by me. I needed one more to backlight the top of the head. You live and learn.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote