Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 5, 2009, 3:51 AM   #1

Hi All,

Had upper 30's and sunny, couldn't resist going out to practice a little with the FA*300/2.8 + Tamron F 1.4x AF TC. It was still cold. . . The K20 was mounted on an Amvona ATH 104T tripod, Manfrotto 468MG ballhead, and Wimberley Sidekick. I also used a Red Dot Sight mounted on a hotshoe mount. All this stuff is really getting involved, but it does make handling this setup a lot easier, and I think I'll be getting a much higher percentage of keepers using it.

The first three are just slight crops shot at @ 10 ft, sharpened just a touch and resized.

Male Downy WP, 1/200, f9, ISO 200

White Breasted Nuthatch, Same exposure info.

Same Nuthatch, Same exposure info.

Another Male Downy, but from about 40 ft, significantly cropped to vertical, 1/125, f6.3 ISO 1250!!!!!, processed to taste.

One last Male Downy, from about 65 ft, significantly cropped, 1/200, f6,3, ISO 100, processed to taste.

This lens looks like it'll more than deliver to some pretty high expectations.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2009, 7:03 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great shots Scott! Very sharp. The pose on #3 is a winner! I have signed up with a local photo club to do a portrait shoot of raptors in May. It will be my first formal bird shoot. Based on pictures such as yours and Tom's, I have a lot to aspire to!!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 8:29 AM   #3

Great shots Scott, the 300mm 2.8 seems like a great lens, wish I could justify the cost, but right now I can't work it in.

I have noticed when I go to a birding place, there are lots of people with extremely large lenses and heavy duty tripods, and that seems like the way to go for the best shots.

Again, very nice.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:36 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I have noticed when I go to a birding place, there are lots of people with extremely large lenses and heavy duty tripods, and that seems like the way to go for the best shots.

Again, very nice.

Tom
Don't have any extremely large lenses (I max out at with my Sigma 70-300mm APO DG), but have a Manfrotto tripod that can hold it's own. This place is a raptor rehabillitation center and they promise close up shots. I'm hoping to get by with the DA*50-135. Anyhow...don't mean to deviate from Scott's original thread.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:49 PM   #5

Great Scott! shot :G

I love the pose in #3 and the downy is great, I just got my first shot of one yesterday. I met a gentleman at the reserve last week that had a $7000 Canon and a $9000 500mm lens and tripod, he let me lift it... I think I hurt myself!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6

Scott,
I, too, like that pose in #3. Excellent work. Also, your set up provides some wonderfully sharp images. I would like to compare them to the 16 grand set up GW was talking about.

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:56 PM   #7

Hi jelpee, Tom, GW, and Glenn,

Thanks!

jelpee -- The raptor shoot sounds like it would be fun. I'm sure that you'll be up to the challenge. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Tom -- It took quite a while, but after seeing what really great glass can do, I finally decided that I might as well do everything I can to give the gear every chance to realize its potential. The right support stuff also makes handling this heavy stuff a whole lot easier -- actually almost too easy.

GW -- I liked #3 too, and was really hoping when I took it that it would be as good as I thought it was when I hit the shutter. Many times this is not the case, but this time it worked out pretty well.

This is about the max I can carry any distance I need to, but I'm assuming that this will get easier the more I do it. We'll see. In that Canon outfit, I'd imagine that the lens alone weighs more than my K20 and the 300/2.8. Then add a heavier tripod, and a full gimbal and that would be too much weight to be practical.

Glenn -- If you can talk someone into sending me a 1DSMkIII and an L 500/4 I'd be glad to do the test :lol:
Somehow I think that the Canon setup would be a bit better. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:19 AM   #8

Wonderful, Scott. I agree with everyone that #3 is great.

I really do need to start using the tripod I got. Or, at least my rinky monopod. Although, from the shots in Lawrence back in December some were better without. But, the longest lens I have is the 70-300, too.

Anyway, nice job.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:05 AM   #9

I keep looking at these pictures and still can't believe how wonderful they are. The detail is beautiful! I can see why this lens is worth so much, it definitely delivers more than other, lesser, lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote