Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:00 PM   #1
daz

I was a little surprised and honored to find that when I got home from work today to find that my photo had the most votes for the February monthly challenge. It is kind of like the dog chasing a car. Not only have do I have the car but I have to figure out what to do with it.

Symmetry:

1. The correspondence in size, form, and arrangement of parts on opposite sides of a plane, line, or point; regularity of form or arrangement in terms of like, reciprocal, or corresponding parts.
2. The proper or due proportion of the parts of a body or whole to one another with regard to size and form; excellence of proportion.
3. Beauty based on or characterized by such excellence of proportion.

Symmetry is one of the things, like repetition, that the mind likes to see. Symmetry is everywhere in our world. There is symmetry in symbols like the yin yang. There is left right symmetry like the photo that Keltech had last month. If he had only showed one line of seagulls we would have been the poorer. There is mirror symmetry like in my photo from last month. There is many more kinds just look around.

There is so much symmetry around that judging from the previous months just symmetry would not be much of a challenge so I think we need a little more to it.

This month's challenge is Broken Symmetry.

Symmetry may be one of those things the mind like to look at but when the symmetry is broken the mind likes to look at it to see what is not right. This can make for an interesting photo.

The automotive people know this. If you look at the back of a car you will see it is mostly symmetrical. They often put the name to one side so you will look at it as you can see from the photo I have here. This is an example of broken symmetry. My photo from last month was also an example of broken symmetry. The reflection at the bottom faded away breaking the symmetry.

So enough talk lets go take some photos.

Rules - pictures are to be taken in the last 90 days, the longest dimension is to be resized to 800 pixels to keep things equal and there's only one entry per person. If you post a picture early in the month, then take a better one later on, you can delete the first one (just edit your post and delete the attachment) and post the new one. As usual, the pictures are to be taken with a Pentax / Samsung camera (any model).

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:27 AM   #2

Well... I'm not sure I understand, would a picture like this one meet the qualifications?
GW:-?

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:00 AM   #3

This will be a hard topic for me, thats for sure. I think I understand it, but SEEING it is going to be my trouble. I so often see the symmetry (like a row of birds all facing one way), but will just not see that one bird who is facing the other direction. Its a good topic, because I'm going to have to look much closer (like twice) at everything, once to see the symmetry, and then again to see what's not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:28 AM   #4

Well thought out topic, Daz. I think GWs fits because it is symmetrical, yet the symmetry is broken in several places. At any rate this is going to be challenging and I am very much looking forward to this month's entries!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5
daz

I am glad you like the topic Lyrics51. I to think that GWs photo fits with this topic very well. The challenge for me mtngal was to come up with some thing that could challenge you and that was a bit of a challenge.

DAZ
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:23 PM   #6

OK, changed my mind, now this is my pick!

Shot at 1/125 sec @ f/4.5

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:39 PM   #7

I'll probably change my entry, but for now I'll enter this one. I took it in January so it still qualifies, but I really do like to post a picture I specifically take for the challenge (though I didn't last month). I think it qualifies as broken symmetry:

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:00 PM   #8

If you think it was difficult last month to get all the gulls to face in the same direction, try getting one to turn around and face the opposite direction!!! Actually last months and this months entries were both taken on the same day. It was a cold and windy day and the gulls all land into the wind and then turn to have the wind at their back in order to rest. I just happened to catch this shot when "wrong way Corrigan" made his landing and just prior to him turning to have the wind at his back.
Attached Images

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:18 AM   #9

Interesting challenge, Daz. This was just what I needed yesterday to get my mind on other things. It sure had me thinking.

This is my entry for now. Will continue to look for other things as you can see the day ended up being quite dreary weatherwise. I took a lot yesterday and will post them separately as I was having fun with this topic. Spent the afternoon at the beach.

Patty

p.s. Forgotten to mention, this is the type of photo I am always aggravated with. I have the opposite problem as Harriet. I'll see an image and the "brokenis" stands out to me! I want so bad to fix things, but want images portayed as seen.

3/31 - replacing image. I took this a few weeks ago when we went out to Plum Island and the Coast Guard Station.

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:01 PM   #10
daz

This is working out better then I had hoped.

Pyramids are symmetrical and the moon is round so it to is symmetrical. This photo is no tomato but I think it's broken here.

DAZ
Attached Images