Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2009, 5:50 PM   #11

Thanks Dawg...

Im working on the getting out there and taking shots.. but work really does get in the way badly.. maybe i'll get a better chance to get out and shoot the natives at the weekend! (roo's by the way)

i have read and digested the manual so have one thing off the list.. :lol:just need to find some talent!

Right you have persuaded me.. i will ask a couple more questions!

I do not have the ability to select the focal point on SEL mode. It says in the manual unless you use DA... etc etc etc lens then you cant. Im assuming this is the reason that i cant as i am using a sigma lens? if i put it on auto then it will pick other than centre but to be honest i am that used to using centre focus points and recomposing its not a huge issue for me.. i just wanted to check that really was the reason.

the second thing is related to the first. Metering. As far as i was aware it was running the full frame metering (if thats the word) but according to the manual if you use anything but the DA.... etc etc.. lenses then it will work as centre weighted, regardless of setting.. is this the case with sigma lenses too?

Thanks again in advance!

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:00 PM   #12

For your metering question - your Sigma lenses should be FA lenses, and multi-segment metering will work just like it does with DA or even A lenses (my Vivitar macro lens is an A lens). It won't work if you take the lens off of the A setting (i.e., use the lens manually where you set the aperture on the lens) or if you use M or K lenses.

It's similar with the focus points, just that you would need a minimum of an F lens (A lenses don't have auto focus capability). You should be able to select a different point with your Sigma lenses. I had trouble getting the camera to change it's focus point for some reason - having the camera up to my eye and using the 4 way controller to change the point was difficult for me to get the hang of, for some reason. I rarely change it from the center point, so that might have something to do with it. I never use the auto focus option - too easy for the camera to focus on the wrong item and it can be difficult to try to convince it that it's wrong.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:17 PM   #13

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

You gave me the hint that i needed for the focal points. For some reason i thought the workflow was

Prefocus > select focal point > shoot

when in fact it is

Select focal point > Prefocus > shoot!

i guess i was just being daft and taking it as read that the manual was suggesting ONLY pentax lenses would work.. duh!

yes i generally only use centre and dont like relying on the camera for the auto side.. it seems to pick several points and murphys law means it will always be the wrong one.. i find it so so much faster prefocusing and then recomposing.

Again thanks for the help .. one more feature nailed now! :|

Steve
Old Mar 10, 2009, 5:22 AM   #14

g'day Steve
you may find cheap lenses at places like Cashies
try to find out as much as you can about the lenses
and do a bit of research before handing over any cash

dont forget to post a few photos on here so we can check them out

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:32 AM   #15

5teve wrote:
Quote:
the second thing is related to the first. Metering. As far as i was aware it was running the full frame metering (if thats the word) but according to the manual if you use anything but the DA.... etc etc.. lenses then it will work as centre weighted, regardless of setting.. is this the case with sigma lenses too?

Steve
Steve, I have a number of Sigma lenses, and I've never had any instances where they performed differently than an equivalent Pentax lens, with one notable exception on the high end of the lens market.

Some of the Pentax DA* lenses such as the 50-135 that feature SDM focus motors have a dual drive system that allows them to use both the in-camera focus motor and the SDM motor. Thus, they can be used on a non-SDM camera body and still have auto-focus. The Sigma HSM lenses are designed to work with only the in-lens HSM motor. Thus, they will not auto-focus on a non-SDM Pentax camera, i.e. one earlier than the K10d. With the K20d, this should not be an issue for you, unless your SDM focusing system in the camera gives you trouble (as is the case with my K20d right now).

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:15 AM   #16

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
g'day Steve
you may find cheap lenses at places like Cashies
try to find out as much as you can about the lenses
and do a bit of research before handing over any cash

dont forget to post a few photos on here so we can check them out
Thanks Gumnut.. hadn't thought of there... where do you get most of your kit from? things like batteries and remotes im looking for and tending towards ebay! as for the research.. its something i do relentlesly!

i have posted a pic already in dawgs seagull thread. nothing special but an early one..

Quote:
Steve, I have a number of Sigma lenses, and I've never had any instances where they performed differently than an equivalent Pentax lens, with one notable exception on the high end of the lens market. Some of the Pentax DA* lenses such as the 50-135 that feature SDM focus motors have a dual drive system that allows them to use both the in-camera focus motor and the SDM motor. Thus, they can be used on a non-SDM camera body and still have auto-focus. The Sigma HSM lenses are designed to work with only the in-lens HSM motor. Thus, they will not auto-focus on a non-SDM Pentax camera, i.e. one earlier than the K10d. With the K20d, this should not be an issue for you, unless your SDM focusing system in the camera gives you trouble (as is the case with my K20d right now). Paul
Paul, i have read about your issues (although i dont fully understand them yet!) i think i am getting the reassurance that the lenses behave in the same way (as for performance im not sure!) The learning curve from my Kyocera has surprised me, although i think i am becoming familiar things like shutter speeds etc seem a lot slower for some reason, but picture quality goes without saying.. and all the manual controls WOW :lol: the kyocera had very few.. so im loving that.... i just need to adjust my thinking about how the workflow goes..

time to play.. so thanks again guys!

Steve