Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:44 AM   #1

Joined the Pentax club!

Yep finally did it after no announcement of a k30d at PMA i went for a very reasonably priced k20d with a sigma 18-50 3.5 - 5.6 dc and a 70-300 4 - 5.6 DG with 200-300 macro. Got a 4gb card (sandisk ultraIII), a lowepro twin lens bag and a naff tripod! the package wasnt changeable..

Im sure the lenses are not great (i dont expect for the price they will be) but hey they get me started!

just been playing around, its a whole new world compared to my trusty old kyocera m410r but so far very very happy with the speed, and the quality.. just need to understand what works when and how..

any tips are greatly and i mean greatly appreciated! :?

Thanks

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:22 AM   #2

Congrats on your purchase. I think you will find a lot of really friendly and helpful people here. Good luck.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:46 AM   #3

Welcome to the club, Steve. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I just got my K20 in December after having had the K100 since Aug 2006.

Can't really give you any tips. I'm still learning it myself.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 10:53 AM   #4

Welcome in the family, Steve! And congrats to your choice, it's a good one.

My best advice would be: go out and play, enjoy and have fun. In due time you'll have found out quite a lot about all those buttons and levers. When you by then bump your head in the wall we are here to help you out with whatever futile orgrand questions you might have. You'll find out you have joined a very friendly, worldwide little community.

Kjell

This was my very first picture with my first DSLR :lol::lol:A *istDS i still use and love, even though I now also have a K20D.

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:36 AM   #5

Welcome to the Pentax family! Don't hesitate to ask questions - we are a friendly lot and are perfectly willing to share our knowledge. The lenses aren't the greatest, but not the worst either. So go out and play!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 2:42 PM   #6

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!

I was an early adopter of the K20, and have now had it for about a year, and I'm still learning new things about this camera and how to get the best from it.

The lenses that you get in a kit aren't going to be the "best", but I think that you'll find them competent. With the wide range of focal lengths that you get to play with, you will, over time, get to know where and what you like to shoot, and then you'll be able to make some educated decisions on where you'd like to make some improvements to your lens lineup. Don't fight it. . . LBA (Lens Buying Addiction/Anonymous) is inevitable. . .and with Pentax's backward compatibility with lenses, it doesn't even have to be that expensive (except for the stuff I still want. . .):-)

Go out and shoot a lot -- I'm sure you'll find the K20 a very capable camera -- and then post some shots here -- We promise to be gentle. . .:G

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:16 PM   #7

Thanks Guys for the welcome!

Dont worry when it comes to asking stupid questions im first in line so i am sure that you will gain some entertainment out of me

yes playing is what i do best and so far i dont think there is much i havent discovered on the camera or how to get it... i just am experimenting with what settings affect what as i far more manual control over this than my old camera.

I have been experimenting with DOF to see what effects that and had some quite pleasing results, especially considering the lighting i had available!

i guess my first question is..

I am getting lots of jealous feelings about the lens's that i keep seeing picked up for what can only be described as peanuts! I notice most use adaptors, does this stop things like apreture and AF working using the adaptors. Does anyone have a list (i'd rather you didnt type it out specially) of lenses that would be compatible?

Once again thanks for your welcome, i have a feeling that this will be rather like the very small kyocera community.. more worried about pictures and kit than bagging other brands

Thanks

Steve
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:25 PM   #8

Quick answer for lenses (there's lots more that can be said about them):

1. M42 screw mount lenses require an adaptor. The camera doesn't have a way of stopping down the lens so it's difficult to focus if you have the lens stopped down. Many focus with the lens wide open, then stop down the lens, meter and shoot.

2. M lenses or K lenses (those Pentax lenses that don't have anything after the "SMC" (such as SMC 24mm f2.8 ):Can be used without adaptors. Manual lenses but have lever that the camera uses to stop down the lens when you press the shutter, so you don't have to stop it down yourself - just set the aperture on the lens, camera to M mode, press the green button to meter. Lenses don't have an "A" on the aperture ring.

3. A lenses have contacts for auto exposure so the camera can control aperture settings. Manual focus. No adaptor needed.

4. F and FA lenses have both auto focus and auto exposure. They will work on both film and digital cameras but still have aperture rings.

5. DA and FAJ lenses don't have aperture rings, camera handles everything.

There's also the Tamron Adaptall lenses. They require adaptors but work differently than the M42 mount.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:06 AM   #9

OK so you ignored me and typed it up anyway hehe...

Thanks very much for that... i think i understand so will start looking on ebay and the like for some bargains... not sure how prevalent pentax have been in Oz so not sure what is available used wise?

any old pentax by the sound of it will work in some fashion (which im gathering is the beauty) and sounds like lots of lens's can be converted too...

I very much appreciate the info and will make a note of it.. absorb it and go from there :?

if anyone else has info to fill my minute brain up then feel free :-)

Again thanks for the welcome.. i'll stop bothering you for a day or 2... and get posting some pictures!

Thanks

Steve

Old Mar 9, 2009, 8:47 AM   #10

High Steve and welcome to the club. You've been given good advice so far. The very best is to go out and shoot some photos and have fun. The specific questions will follow from the use. If you got the manual for the camera, then read it and use it. A lot of questions will be answered for you there. Post photos with a question and sometime soon post a photo or two of your kit. We do love photos. Catch you later..

Da
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote