Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:29 PM   #11

Out of curiosity, why would you need to know the difference between a crocodile and a gator? Aren't both equally dangerous and things to stay far away from?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:19 PM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity, why would you need to know the difference between a crocodile and a gator? Aren't both equally dangerous and things to stay far away from?
Actually, I was just being humerous because of the reputation of crocodiles elsewhere, but there may be reasons to be aware of the difference other than academic curiosity.

Alligators are usually not overly dangerous - it is just that there are so many of them that people tend to get careless and do dumb things. Crocodiles elsewhere are larger, more aggressive, faster, and more likely to take animal prey. American Crocodiles are rare, their numbers having been decimated almost to the point of extinction in Florida, but have been increasing under protection to the point that, while still protected, they have been reduced from Endangered to Threatened status. They are increasing in numbers and reoccupying some of their historic range, coming increasingly in contact with people, They are not usually considered as dangerous as some other crocodiles, or more dangerous than Alligators, but because they have had so little human contact in recent years, they may be underestimated, and people, in their curiosity to see one close up, may get into trouble. They are more likely to be removed from urban or residential areas in an abundance of caution, whereas game wardens usually don't bother with Alligators in other than unusual or exceptional circumstances..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:48 PM   #13

GW, this is a nice picture, as usual from you. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable so near without a sturdy fence between it and me.:shock:

Penolta, I didn't know there were American Crocodiles. Can you give a scientific name for me to google, or a good link,so I can investigate this a bit further. Most interesting.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:56 PM   #14

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
GW, this is a nice picture, as usual from you. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable so near without a sturdy fence between it and me.:shock:

Penolta, I didn't know there were American Crocodiles. Can you give a scientific name for me to google, or a good link,*so I can investigate this a bit further. Most interesting.

Kjell
Crocodylus acutus

Just google Florida crocodile for specific features on this population or American Crocodile for more general information
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 2:02 PM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

Penolta, I didn't know there were American Crocodiles. Can you give a scientific name for me to google, or a good link,so I can investigate this a bit further. Most interesting.

Kjell
I know what you mean, kjell.
I got a little uncomfortable looking through the 70-200mm zoom at him, made him look real close! I started thinking there wasn't much I could do if he got aggressive cause I really didn't feel like wrestling, I just decided to move along.
:G
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:56 PM   #16

Thank you very much, Penolta! It constantly amazes me how much I learn from this board, on all kinds of topics!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:31 PM   #17

Thanks a lot Penolta. The more you learn the more you realize how little you know! This was news to me, and not by any means being a reptile expert I thought I had pretty good control in this area.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote