Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Me again guys.. :?

how many of you run the ebay specialsbatteries in your Pentax's? Just looking at some 1800mah ones that are pretty cheap.. just wanted a spare cell or 2 in case..

opinions?

thanks

Steve

PS i did a search but nothing came up so was wondering if the search function was not working at the moment.
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2

When I bought my K20D from BeachCamera, I bought a spare offbrand 1800mah battery for the camera. Haven't had to make use of it yet, so I can't tell how much better or worse it is than the pentax battery. I'll revisit this thread after I have used it more.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:12 PM   #3

I was just reading an article in a magazine about Li-Ion batteries, and what a lousy idea it is to get some of the knock-offs. It can be downright dangerous - ones that are badly made can explode (why airlines no longer let you carry loose Li-Ion batteries in your luggage). They mentioned a couple of makers of generic batteries that have been in business for years and are reasonably safe to buy, but now I'm not sure which magazine the article was in.

There are some cheaper alternatives to the Pentax proprietary battery. It's late and I can't remember which one it is, but there's a less expensive battery that's an OEM battery for a different camera. I can't remember which camera its for now - hopefully someone will come along who knows. It's been used successfully by a number of people.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:23 PM   #4

Mike thanks for that... i'll be interested to hear how it goes.. im sure they are all similarly made just not sure how they compare to the OE ones.. probably all made in the same city / factory!

Mtngal (thank you again!)

Yeah i have heard some horror stories about them also.. i think as long as they have some kind of IC protection in them they are generally safer. i think the ones you are thinking of is the Konica Minolta(just been looking on the pentax forum) the problem i have is that there is a fairly small user base in Oz of Pentax / konica gear and its all stupidly expensive. So ebay from China or shipping from the states is a cheap option for me..

i'll steer clear of the 1000 batteries for a buck deals they have... and see if i can find some 'branded' batteries cheaper than the pentax. i really only should need one extrai think..
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:21 AM   #5

Well, I guess I had the aftermarket battery in my camera and didn't even remember I switched them. Been working fine though. This is the battery I got: http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...0&tab=descript

I don't know how good or bad Sakar brand is... But if it explodes on me you'll hear about it.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6

hmm... they are cheap... we have nothing like that over here.. it looks like $70+ minimum... unless i buy off ebay and searching forthe sakar one gives no results!

i guess i'll have to keep looking and then just try one!

next on the list is a hoya hmc pro1 UV.. bummer that i sold a 58mm one a while back as i bought it by mistake!

Thanks again guys

Steve
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:25 AM   #7

Steve,

I have a K10d and a K20d with battery grip, so I have three batteries in use at any given time and three in reserve. Of them, only 2 are original Pentax batteries; the others are generics bought off e-bay, although not the real cheapies.

I've had no battery-related issues with any of them and generally don't even know which is in a camera at a given time since I use them in rotation.

Welcome to the Pentax community. You're going to enjoy your new toy.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:19 AM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Steve,

I have a K10d and a K20d with battery grip, so I have three batteries in use at any given time and three in reserve. Of them, only 2 are original Pentax batteries; the others are generics bought off e-bay, although not the real cheapies.

I've had no battery-related issues with any of them and generally don't even know which is in a camera at a given time since I use them in rotation.

Welcome to the Pentax community. You're going to enjoy your new toy.

Paul
Thanks for that... i havent had any previous problems with generic batteries for other kit but i have never bought the real cheapies. So i guess i will use my judgement and choose a reasonable generic battery! i have been looking at the battery grip too as so many people recommend them.. is yours a genuine pentax one? i seem to remember that having 1 battery or is it the chinese copy with 2 batteries?

Thanks Again

Steve
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:06 AM   #9

Check this out. I believe this battery works in the K10d/20d. Do more research!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_7_4v.html
Thirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:44 AM   #10

As far as the battery grip goes, one either loves it or hates it. I find it too big for my small hands - I either use a zoom or a manual focus lens most of the time, so I have to be able to support the camera and manipulate the ring at the same time. My hand is just a bit too small to do that, so it's not much use to me. It also adds just enough weight to make the camera difficult for me to control - I find the K20 by itself (withmy selection of heavy lenses)as heavy as I can reliably handle.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote