Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 12, 2009, 1:43 PM   #1

I know it's a Sandpiper but not sure which species.
Can anyone narrow it down?

sorry for the poor IQ it was the best I could get.
GW:bye:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2009, 2:26 PM   #2

GW,

I think it is a Greater Yellowlegs. So many of these small shorebirds look so similar you have to look closely. Here is a link to a page about them.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...ellowlegs.html

This is also an excellent site for bird info.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 3:54 PM   #3

Thank you Dennis!
I have to agree with you, that link had a much better photo than the site I was checking.
on that site it looked more like the Lesser yellow legs... then I started looking at others and was very unsure.
:?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:01 PM   #4

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
[b]
it looked more like the Lesser yellow legs...
I think so, too. In the thread below there are two (I just added one at the end) shots of a Greater Yellowlegs for comparison, allthough they are a bit scruffy. The Lesser is a smaller, more delicate bird than the Greater, but it can be difficult to tell them apart without another bird of known size for comparison. I know this one was a Greater because there were other large shorebirds (Willet, Godwit, Curlew) nearby for comparison.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...46&forum_id=11
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:27 PM   #5

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Thank you Dennis!
it looked more like the Lesser yellow legs...

I think so, too. In the thread below there are two (I just added one at the end) shots of a Greater Yellowlegs for comparison, allthough they are a bit scruffy. The Lesser is a smaller, more delicate bird than the Greater, but it can be difficult to tell them apart without another bird of known size for comparison. I know this one was a Greater because there were other large shorebirds (Willet, Godwit, Curlew) nearby for comparison.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

Thank you Pen,
after looking at the link Dennis posted and the pix in yours, Im convinced it is a greater rather than the lesser and that's the lesser of the two greaters to say the least... I think.
:?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:21 PM   #6

Uh . . . ., GW, I was agreeing with you that it looks more like a Lesser . . . . :-?(I guess hadn't edited out the original quote completely)
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:23 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Uh . . . ., GW, I was agreeing with you that it looks more like a Lesser . . . . :-?(I guess hadn't edited out the original quote completely)
LOL!... Boy, talk about being confused! :? :angry: :?
OK, so I went back and looked at the link Dennis posted and look up the lesser Yellowlegs.
they had a pic with both the lesser and greater in the same pic and now I see why it's so hard to tell from a picture alone without something to compare the size too! and yes you're right it is a lesser, least that's my story and I'm stickin to it.:lol:
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:25 PM   #8

Dont' kill yourselves on this one... :? It's a Lesser Yellowlegs...:-)

So long as you havea profile of the head, you can identify the bird most of the time without any reference point for size nearby. Here's the best rule of thumb to identify which variety of Yellowlegs you are observing/photographing:

Bill Lengthequal toHead Length = Lesser Yellowlegs

Bill Lengthgreater thanHead Length = Greater Yellowlegs

Let me know if Ineed to dig up a photo of a Greater Yellowlegs as a reference point? I have a bunch of them somewhere on my storage drives.

Cheers,
Marc

Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
So long as you have a profile of the head, you can identify the bird most of the time
Maybe. But not all of the time. Bill length (and shape) in shorebirds (and many other birds) varies both with gender (sexual dimorphism) and and age, so it is always best not to rely on subjective judgement of a single variable character for identification.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:52 PM   #10

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
So long as you have a profile of the head, you can identify the bird most of the time
Maybe. But not all of the time. Bill length (and shape) in shorebirds (and many other birds) varies both with gender (sexual dimorphism) and and age, so it is always best not to rely on subjective judgement of a single variable character for identification.
I am aware of morphs, variations, etc. It's a guideline, nothing more. Be well.

Regards,
Marc
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote