Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:03 AM   #1

Can anyone guess what this is? I thought about using it for this month's challenge, but it's not symmetrical enough to be considered "broken symmetry".

And the second question is - does anyone know how I created it? It's had very limited processing- mainly what DXO does automatically with a lens it doesn't recognize. This is the full frame picture, by the way.

It was an interesting, fun photo exercise, and I was rather pleased with how this came out. If no one guesses what it is, I'll post another shot that gives more of a hint to what it is.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:36 AM   #2

Nice shot, Harriet! Is it the backlitlid of a filter container?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:45 AM   #3

Not surprising a long-time photographer would recognize what it is. The photo technique is only half right, though (the light was, in deed, beyond the container - I used a small light table). If it were just back-lit, how come the area on the right, beyond the lid's edge, is black? I didn't use photoshop to invert the colors.

And to show that I've kept my filters "in-house" (so to speak), here's another of the same lid (its not exactly new, is it? And it shows why keeping filters in cases is a good idea).

And yes, it was upside down, when I turned it over, it was closer to the camera than I wanted, and I didn't really want to mess with raising the center column on my tripod (an old Velbon video tripod - heavier than I'd like, but certainly sturdy).
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:01 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

No fair Kjell--the time difference between Sweden and the US allows you to answer the questions while I am still snuggled under the covers asleep:-). That was my guess as well--a lid from a filter container! Neat effect Harriet; looks like you are continuing to have fun with macros!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:20 PM   #5

the old 2 polarising filter trick

it also works with clear sticky tape on sunglasses lenses and clear kitchen wrap film
the sunnies have to polarising lenses

taken with my old K1000 many years ago
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:38 PM   #6

Very good! I really like yours - I didn't know it would work with sticky tape and plastic wrap like that.

You are right - I used two polarizers - one that was part of the Cokin system my father had bought. That was bigger than the two 49mm linear polarizers I also played with. Put that on the light table, the filter cover (which, by the way, had held one of the linear polarizers) on top of the polarizer, then the B+W 77mm circular polarizer (with a step-up ring) on the macro lens. The black where the plastic isn't is caused by the second polarizer blocking the light that the first one lets through. The plastic bends the light, so it isn't blocked in the same way. You don't see any of the colors unless you look through the second polarizer.

It makes for a fun photo exercise, and depending on your plastic item, can make for some unusual colors and shapes. Something to try when the weather is horrible outside and you want to try something new indoors.