Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:24 AM   #1

I've been using NI-MH batteries for about 18 months with a Sony Fast charger. Now, I find out that fast chargers are not very reliable. The batteries don't keep their charge and getvery hot, despite the blower used to cool them off. Can I recharge NI-MH batteries on a conventional low speed charger?

Thanx!
Denis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:00 AM   #2

Yes, a slow speed charger works well - it's supposed to be better for them, in fact. But whether they keep a charge or not might not completely have to do with the type of charger - my first set of NI-MH batteries were Sanyo that came with a Sanyo charger. After a year or two they quit being able to hold a charge. I switched to hybrid batteries and have been much happier - they hold a charge much better when they are not in use. I ended up buying Rayovac batteries with a charger at WalMart. I've had them now for more than a year, though I don't use the K100 or my flash all that often so haven't charged them more than a couple of times.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:02 AM   #3

Thanks ever so much!

Denis Boucher
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4

always now use the eneloop style pre charge batteries. they hold charge for much longer than standard and they can withstand high usage currents far better than standard nimh batteries. even though they are lower mah rated they perform far far better...

try a google based on eneloop, pre charged nimh, or low self discharge nimh batteries..

Thanks

Steve
5teve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5

THank you , really appreciated!

Denis Boucher

Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:43 PM   #6

Repeated fast charging can shorten the useable life of a battery. A good charger that has different charging rates and can recondition batteries can restore them and extend their life. I use the Maha MH-C800S (the newer MH-C801D is faster and a few dollars more expensive, but otherwise similar) from Thomsa Distributing. You can download the manuals free from their website for detailed information. Batteries should be reconditioned periodically and routinely "soft charged" - use quick charging only when in a hurry. If you have several sets, it shouldn't be necessary to fast charge (unless you are the impatient sort, in which case, get the faster model):

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/-...66ldrpqr2i39k2
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:58 PM   #7

my rayovac hybrids have been strong for two years now. NiMHs just let me down too many times..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:53 PM   #8

THanks for the information, its really appreciated

Denis Boucher
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:54 PM   #9

THanks! I'll have a look at that website

Cheers

Denis Boucher