Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2009, 3:52 PM   #1

Some pictures from the 15th Annual Old Neighborhood St Patrick's Day Parade in South Buffalo today. It was pretty sunny today and I did my best. I kinda overcompensated for the camera's underexposing tendencies and a lot of the pictures got a little overexposed. I adjusted them as best I could and I think that they turned out alright. All pictures taken with K20D and Sigma 24-135mm.

Most of the Irish Dance groups just wore sweats to stay warm as it was a little cold today, but Rince Na Tiarna actually wore costumes.

What parade would be complete without the Shriners and their little cars

And your bagpipe and drums:

Aren't you a little big for a leprechaun?

Even St Pat made an appearance:

If you want to view more, you can check out my gallery here: Buffalo First Ward St Patrick's Day Parade 2009
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:59 PM   #2

Very nice - looks like fun. The lighting looks horrible but think you did reasonably well for such difficult conditions. I like the dancers the best - they are really cute.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:11 PM   #3

Nice shots Mike,

The Toronto St Patrick atarts Sat but the main parade is on Sunday. And the weather is to be pretty balmy and clear as well.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:24 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice! You've captured the spirit of the holiday very well!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:46 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for the comments.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Mike,

The Toronto St Patrick atarts Sat but the main parade is on Sunday. And the weather is to be pretty balmy and clear as well.

Daniel
Our big St Patrick's Day parade is actually Sunday as well. This was just the old neighborhood parade. My kids want to go see the bigger one as well so I'll probably be posting up more pictures tomorrow after that one. Buffalo has a rather large Irish population so these events generate a lot of interest.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 11:49 PM   #6

And for those who looked, but didn't check out my gallery, I thought this was probably the funniest thing, I want one:

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7

Great last shot. Always nice to see people genuinely enjoying themselves.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:19 PM   #8

And here we are, a few from today's festivities... Not as many as yesterday, even though this was a larger parade, it was also much busier with crowds which made it harder to get pictures so I had to be a little more selective.

First, a view of the crowd from our end of Delaware Ave where the parade ended towards City Hall (You can see it sticking up above the building on the right). Don't know what kind of crowd we had today, but from all estimates it was a record, seeing as it was probably at least 60F and sunny as opposed to the usual snow and rain that happens most times.

Plenty of Irish Dancers.

How did Llamas get into a St Patrick's Day Parade???

And St Patrick blesses you all and walks off with his little people.

Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:52 PM   #9

Great pair of series Mike. They show why Buffalo is the "Cityof Good Neighbors".

I used to runin the OldFirst Ward Shamrock Run everyyear - start and finish on Louisianna St. The Post Race party was one of the best, plenty of beer and Corned Beef on Rye.The runner's high is always obtained at the post race party.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:11 PM   #10

Very festive pictures. It's clear the celebration was a lot of fun. I agree with mtngal: the dancers are adorable. They were lucky the weather was so cooperative. At this time of year it can still be very cold and blustery. But throughout the entire northeast US, this past weekend was a day to tell us that spring really is coming.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote