Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:58 AM   #11

$575 for a tripod?????????????????????????
give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i've been using amvona from ebay FOR years. the last 3 years with a CF at 63''tal,column unraised, and one of their their better ball heads. total support around 22# or 10k.. total for both under 130usd ... they are gitzo knock offs but i'm afraid i could care less.. oh,, the same specs..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:51 AM   #12

About ayear and a half agoI bought my wife a Flashpoint tripod from Adorama. I'm pretty sure it was this model:

http://www.adorama.com/FPTPF1228.html

I also bought this ballhead to go with it:

http://www.adorama.com/FPTH2.html?se...ripod%20F-1228

The price was very reasonable, and she is very pleased with the tripod, and i have used it several times, and i also find it to fulfill all my needs. I will probably buy another for myself before too long. She most often uses it with herK200D and tamron 90 mm macro lens, though she also uses it a fair bit with the Pentax 55-300 mm zoom. I have used it with my K100D and my Sigma 70-300 zoom. I assume the K20D is somewhat heavier than our cameras, but I would expect it is still well within the weight capacity of this tripod and head.

To the best of my knowledge, Adorama is the only company that sells Flashpoint gear, so unless you're in the NYC area, you can't try it out first. I ordered it sight unseen, which is a risky approach. We're happy with this tripod and head combination, but as always, what works for one may or may not work for another. Good luck.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:24 PM   #13

robar wrote:
Quote:
$575 for a tripod?????????????????????????
give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i've been using amvona from ebay FOR years. the last 3 years with a CF at 63''tal,column unraised, and one of their their better ball heads. total support around 22# or 10k.. total for both under 130usd ... they are gitzo knock offs but i'm afraid i could care less.. oh,, the same specs..
the more i think about it $575 is totally rediculose for a tripod without a head

so does any one know of another tripod out there that folds down to about 16", that will hold my gear

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Tamrac velocity 8X / Domke F3X / lowepro stealth reporter 100AW

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:34 PM   #14

robar wrote:
Quote:

Hi Dave,

I'm another Amvona user, with two of their CF tripod legs, an AT A104, and an AT CF94. Unfortunately, they have pretty much stopped the no reserve auctions on their stuff, or they'd still be the steal of the century in CF tripods. Both of mine cost a total of about $225 USD (so I figure I've got about $120 USD in each), and I've been using both with my big glass.

There are a few issues -- with the AT A104, the leg sections do not rotate independently, so it's quick and easy to set up, but the camera platform on the aluminum center column was unstable -- the plug in the column that supported the platform was a bit undersized and moved within the column, causing the platform to wobble slightly -- not a big deal to fix, I just took a hammer and center punch and put a series of dents around the column to narrow the inside diameter to the point where I had to use the hammer to drive the plug back in. It's solid as a rock now. . .

The AT CF94 has four sections per leg, but the sections rotate, so I have to hold the adjacent upper section to tighten each of the leg locks -- not a deal breaker, but it's fiddly. The center column on this one is CF, and very solid.

At the prices these used to be available for at auction, they are unbeatable -- at the current store BIN prices, I'd probably look at the Benro, Induro, Flashpoint, Giottos, and Feisol alternatives if you want CF.

The Flashpoint legs that mtnman pointed to looks a lot like the Amvona, as do the Flashpoint ballheads -- I'd say there's a good chance that they are from the same mfg.

This tripod thing has really gotten more confusing with all the Asian knock offs that keep popping up. . . I'm glad I'm already pretty well set.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:20 PM   #15

any experience with the slr gorilla pod

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Tamrac velocity 8X / Domke F3X / lowepro stealth reporter 100AW

Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:34 PM   #16

Hi Dave

Check out this tripod http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Ultra-M...994&sr=8-2

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:23 AM   #17

mtnman wrote:
Quote:
About ayear and a half agoI bought my wife a Flashpoint tripod from Adorama. I'm pretty sure it was this model:

http://www.adorama.com/FPTPF1228.html

I also bought this ballhead to go with it:

http://www.adorama.com/FPTH2.html?se...ripod%20F-1228

The price was very reasonable, and she is very pleased with the tripod, and i have used it several times ..............To the best of my knowledge, Adorama is the only company that sells Flashpoint gear ........We're happy with this tripod and head combination, but as always, what works for one may or may not work for another.
Quote:
You are correct; Flashpoint is the Adorama Camera house brand. BTW, if you ever have aquery or concern regarding an order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Quote:
Sincerely

[suB]Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador[/suB]

[suB][email protected][/suB]

[suB]www.adoramacamera.com[/suB]
HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:45 AM   #18

HelenOster wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sincerely

[suB]Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador[/suB]

[suB][email protected][/suB]

[suB]http://www.adoramacamera.com[/suB]
i could never understand Adorama camera selling policy

you will sell to me thru Amazon, but not direct

Dave
Old Mar 19, 2009, 3:50 AM   #19

Dave

Not quite sure I understand the question!

Would you like to contact me directly with a bit more information?

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

www.adorama.com

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:00 PM   #20

HelenOster wrote:
Quote:
Dave

Not quite sure I understand the question!

Would you like to contact me directly with a bit more information?

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

http://www.adorama.com

its really quite simple

if i try to purchase on your web site, you reject my card as it is an out of the country card, yet if i buy from you thru amazon, you accept it then

Dave