Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:59 PM   #1

Tripod help
[align=left][/align]

this has been on the back burner for a while now, and is once again spinning my head around in circles
i was always under the impression that the bogen manfrotto legs were considered to be good, but yet on different sites you hardly see them being mentioned.
i was looking at the 190 xprob or the 055 xprob with the 488 rc2 ball head
i have the K20D with grip and my heaviest lens is the 16-50 2.8
Gitzo pricing is way out of my league
folded length is my greatest issue ( the shorter the better )
if its too heavy and long when folded it will be left at home
But want it to be sturdy, and easy to deploy

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Tamrac velocity 8X / Domke F3X / lowepro stealth reporter 100AW

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:11 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I have the Manfrotto 190 XPro B that I use with my K20D and DA*16-50mm. The tripod is solid and versatile with a articulating cerner shaft and legs that spread out to a minimum height of about 6" from the ground. It is a bit bulky--but that's what a solid tripod is all about!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:47 PM   #3

There are lots of people using (and recommending) the 055. I decided that I don't like Manfrotto's leg locks - I kept pinching my fingers. I'm going to wait until I can afford the Gitzo.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 9:19 PM   #4

jelpee - Thanks, i know many would say the 055 is better, but looked at the 190 for the collapsed lenght

mtngal - thanks, have you ever gotten a chance to look at the gitzo GT 1541 or the GT1550 travelers tripod. can you say how sturdy they are and how would you compare their sturdiness to lets say the manfrotto 055

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2

Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:12 PM   #5

I looked at one Gitzo when I wasn't really serious yet. I'm not sure which model it was. It looked very sturdy, but I wasn't sure about how I would get along with the twist leg locks in the long run. I have an old Velbon video tripod that I use indoors that has clip-type leg locks that aren't bad. The REI monopod I have has twist locks and I like them better (less fuss) but they will slip a bit when I'm using it as a trekking pole and depending on it to support me. The Gitzo's locks seemed much tighter/more solid so I don't think that would be a problem.

The one thing that rather surprised me was that I accidentally removed the lower section when I was experimenting with the locks. There didn't seem to be a stop, so I'd have to pay attention to that (I'm enough of a klutz that I'd do something like that - watch one section of my tripod go tumbling down a steep cliff, like into the Grand Canyon). I went back to my local camera store recently to look at the 1541 or 1531 but they didn't have any in stock. I really want to take a good, close look at various high-end options before I actually buy one, though I am pretty convinced that the Gitzo is the better choice for me.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6

what's amazing is i did this to my mind a few months back and this is why the tripod purchase went into the back burner

i started off looking at the

BM 055xprob, folded - 25.8", $165 THEN

BM 190xprob, folded - 22.4", $145 THEN

BM 055cxpro4, folded - 21.5, $420THEN

gitzo GT1541, folded - 16" , $575 THEN

gitzo GT2541, folded - 22" , $570

and my head is once again ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, SPINNING :?

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2

Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:55 AM   #7

I have the Manfrotto 055CLB with a 488RC0 ball head and use it with my K10D in my home studio as well as on location for interiors and landscapes.

The tripod is nice and sturdy and I have learnt the hard way to keep my fingers clear of the leg locks.

The ball head is great, I bought the one with extra carry capacity to minimise any strain on the locking mechanism so it should last longer.

I have proper tripod carry bag that makes it easier to carry around.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:48 AM   #8

carrying weight is not really an issue, folded length is. as you see above i started off looking at $165 and finished at $575. and really $575 for a tripod that i may use maybe once a year or is at a folded length of 16" gonna make me use it a lot more often, because it has now become portable.

BM 055xpb at 26" , for $165will most likely be left home a lot

Gitzo 1541T at 16" , I am getting goose bumps with, but at$575----------WOW

Dave

Pentax K20D / D-BG2

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9

I can't recommend a set of legs, because I just purchased the Slik 700.At 29.9", these are definitely not compact but extend far enough that I don't have to use the center column. I looked at the 190xprob and the legs were just too short.

I will, however recommend you look at the Vanguard SBH-200 ballhead. It's half the price of the 488rc2 and seems extremely well constructed. I've mounted my bigma on the combo at about every angle and there is no creep in the head at all. I'm extremely impressed so far.
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:55 PM   #10

I went out looking for wildflowers, taking my Velbon with me for the first time (I normally carry only the monopod). I've decided that twist leg locks are the way to go - I kept catching the flip locks on the camera bag, my jacket, the camera strap etc. Second, I won't want to go very far carrying 2 camera bags (containing 2 cameras and just about every lens I own) and the heavier aluminum tripod. All that gear, with gloves (it was windy and cold) means I spent quite a bit of time not going very far. And I had to retrace my steps once I got back to the Jeep to find my phone, which had been knocked off my belt at some point while I was juggling things. On the other hand, I liked using the tripod. It's likely that I'd carry it as long as I wasn't going very far (though I think I'll skip the second camera next time.