Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Captured these images at the high school orchestral performance. For available light, I was pleased with the K20D's performance particularly in the area of noise. Not sure if the EXIF is visible, but ithefirst was shot at ISO 400 with the DA*50-135 hand held. I think I used a Tv of 1/50th sec and an Av of f/5. Had to dial down the Ev by -0.7 to compensate for the dark stage background. I liked the concentration of the guy in the middle:-)

Here's one more of a member of the percussion ensemble.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:50 PM   #2

#1 is a masterpiece! (Not saying that #2 is bad.)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:29 PM   #3

What I like about #1 is the intensity of the subjects! Some times high school kids have to be to "cool" to really get into their playing. Great expressions. The youngster on this end needs to grow into his instrument! By the way, it would be nice to see the shot with all that black on the right cropped out.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments Kjell and Glenn.

Glenn: In this age of Guitar Hero, I continue to be amazed at how many middle and high schoolers think it is cool to play instruments such as the string bass, french horn, oboe, etc. My daughter plays flute in her middle school symphonic band and would not have it any other way! I guess they call it "classical" music for a reason!

Re. the cropping, I know there is material out to the right of the performers, but it is invisible on my monitor (i.e. looks part of the back screen of my monitor). I'll play with the settings and see how it looks cropped.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:17 PM   #5

Awesome pictures! The second one is very, very good but the first one is special. My husband's comment was that the second picture showed the perfect job - you can pound on something and get paid for it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:02 PM   #6

Thanks for your comments Harriet! Unfortunately, I could not get any decent pics of my daughter playing. Being in the flute section, she sits in the first row, but at her performance last week,there was a music stand in the line of sight from where I was seated. Overall, I was pleased with the K20D's performance. I also realized compared to other SLR's, the shutter of the K20D is ultra quiet which makes it ideal for shooting at these types of events.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:14 PM   #7

Hey jelpee,
I sure hope you don't mind me playing with the color a little on your photo, it's really a good one as is but, a little too much red on the skin. maybe to pale the way I did it but, I ran out of time... got to get to bed.
:roll:
GW:bye:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:22 PM   #8

Great pics. I know exactly what you mean about not getting a good shot of your child. My daughter plays the trumpet in her high school band, and has participated in many regional music festivals. The trumpets are usually at the very back of the stage, and on those rare occasions that I can even see the trumpets at all, there's always a music stand blocking the view of my daughter! Oh well, the music still sounds wonderful.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:18 PM   #9

Wonderful shots of concentration and determination. Captured well.

Yes, school performances need to have front row seats for all parents and front row spots for all players. Even with my son playing the prince in Beauty and the Beast puppet show a few years ago and being front and center, I was sitting too far back in the audience to get him. I took the photos anyway and can say that blob there in the middle of the screen was him. And, we've still got his marionnette that looks something like the other blob in the image to say it was the prince. :-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 9:01 AM   #10

Quote:
nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful shots of concentration and determination. Captured well.

Quote:
Yes, school performances need to have front row seats for all parents and front row spots for all players.
Patty
Amen to that Sister!!