Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:48 PM   #1

Title should be Western End - Never was very good in Geography.

Finally a nice weekend! Went to Niawanda Park:

The kayaker was back lit above, below he's downstream:

Those big boys will be out from under the blue tarps as soon as the ice has gone over Niagara Falls.

Thanks for letting me share my day with you.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:55 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series...judging from the ice on the canal, looks like there's time to wait before Spring:-). I like # 5 the best (the one with the reflection of the kayaker)...very good composition!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:08 PM   #3

Really Nice Jim,
are these all with the 70-300? seems to be doing you a good job!

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:31 PM   #4

Yes, all with the Tamron 70-300. and thanks. I think I'd like the Pentax 55-300 better, but that will have to wait until after I buy the K20D. The trigger finger is getting itchy - they're hovering just below the $700 mark now.

Jim
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5

I'm not convinced that the DA 55-300 is overall that much better. I've had a chance to shoot some more with it and am thinking of re-setting the K20's program line to shoot a lens's sweet spot. The 55-300 has almost no PF (a problem with the 70-300 from what I've read), and very little CA (I haven't noticed any). But its really soft wide open and somewhat soft throughout the aperture range at 300mm. It's much better at around 200mm starting at f11 and does very nicely at f16 and f18, and it's fine at shorter focal lengths starting at f8 or so. It exposes differently than the FA lenses - the K20 is less likely to underexpose (I normally keep the camera set at +.3 Ev and it's sometimes too much exposure for it). It'll also blow out the highlights before some of my other lenses will (I think that's connected to the fact it's brighter than my other lenses). If I don't change the program line, I'll have to always remember to change the camera to Av mode (I use P for walking around) and leave the aperture set to f11 or higher.

P.S. I want to say how much I love your second picture!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:30 AM   #6

Great shots. Subtle color combinations and the composition is excellent. On the last one there is something missing and I think it is a single subject that draws your eye. But I'm no pro so maybe it's just my preference. None the less this is a wonderful series that makes me wish I were there.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:48 AM   #7

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Great shots. Subtle color combinations and the composition is excellent. On the last one there is something missing and I think it is a single subject that draws your eye. But I'm no pro so maybe it's just my preference. None the less this is a wonderful series that makes me wish I were there.

Glenn
Thanks for your comments.

I agree, the last one isn't much of a photo. I thought it was ironic that the little Kayak is already in the water and big expensive cruisers are still in dry dock covered with tarps.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 6:39 AM   #8

Very nice, Jim. I really like the second one. Can I make a recommendation? Crop it to just under the 5mph sign. Each time I look at it, I'm drawn to the sign rather than the birds. But, if I scroll the page up some to crop that out, it's an even better photo.

Just my thoughts. Hope you're not offended.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:30 AM   #9

Jim, I tried Patty's suggestion and it really makes that shot look great! All those colors in the reflections create a beautiful backdrop for the birds!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:21 PM   #10

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, Jim. I really like the second one. Can I make a recommendation? Crop it to just under the 5mph sign. Each time I look at it, I'm drawn to the sign rather than the birds. But, if I scroll the page up some to crop that out, it's an even better photo.

Just my thoughts. Hope you're not offended.

Patty
No offense, and you are absolutely right. I was pre-occupied with cropping out the boats with the blue tarps on them (blue reflection) and didn't pay much attention to the speed limit sign. But, the gulls weren't paying attention to it either, they were way over 5 mph.

Attached Images