Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:05 PM   #1

At the lake yesterday I took several shots of this Warbler. He seemed rather curious about me but, didn't want to get too close, he kept hopping from branch to branch. finally a crow flew in and scared him off. anyway the lighting was all wrong and I just couldn't get a decent exposure. when I got home and opened them in CS4 I was surprised how much I could do with so little! here is what I had to work with...

Here is what I ended up with...
cropped of course. Not something you'd call a keeper but, I was impressed with how much it improved.
:-?

GW:bye:

Oh... this is interesting. the crow that chased him away... he was up higher in the tree with the sun shining right on his back, this is straight from the camera. how strange is that?!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2009, 7:32 PM   #2

That's amazing GW. To have recovered so much from what appeared to be a total throwaway, very impressive. Clearly, I have to learn more about raw conversion, since I don't think I could do the same thing.

The sun reflecting off the crow is pretty strange. He appears to be an iridescent blue.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:02 PM   #3

Pretty impressive, GW. This is one reason I don't ever delete any of my photos. I've been surprised at what I can get out of something I thought was trash.

Interesting crow. I've never seen one appear like that.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4

You can often do a fair amount with Photoshop, but there is a limit. It's fun playing around and seeing just how much you can retrieve. I'll occasionally go back and play with some pictures I didn't like initially - its often amazing how a little bit of cropping and some other adjustments can make a world of difference. You are lucky that you didn't have more noise since you pushed the exposure so much (or did you use a noise reduction program?).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Pretty impressive, GW. This is one reason I don't ever delete any of my photos. I've been surprised at what I can get out of something I thought was trash.

Interesting crow. I've never seen one appear like that.

Patty
Thanks Patty,
He looked black as any crow would except for the way the sun lit him up
! :G
:bye:
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You can often do a fair amount with Photoshop, but there is a limit. It's fun playing around and seeing just how much you can retrieve. I'll occasionally go back and play with some pictures I didn't like initially - its often amazing how a little bit of cropping and some other adjustments can make a world of difference. You are lucky that you didn't have more noise since you pushed the exposure so much (or did you use a noise reduction program?).
Yeah, I did. I shot in raw and converted to tiff. used a touch of sharpen and noise reduction while converting to tiff then after cropping, I used neat image to do a little more. I really like Neat Image and plan on buying the full version. also looking at DXO when I get a little more cash saved up. :G
GW:bye: