Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Finally got a chance this afternoon to go out in the front yard and play a little with this lens, which I got in Monday afternoon. The macro ratio is on the very edge of being able to call it macro, but it did a pretty nice job on these tiny wildflowers in the front yard

Lying down in the front yard to take photos does have its drawbacks, and this one finally got distracted by a bone (taken with on-camera flash as light was failing_

This was just before the last light of sunset dropped behind the tree line. I like the colors.

Finally, a dandelion shot off a tripod. (nothing prettier to shoot right now)

For first shots in limited light, I think I'm going to like this lens.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:18 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Weeds never looked so good Paul:-). Great lighting on #3 as well! That lens seems to have some good sharpness characteristics.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3

Oh man, your going to have fun with that one I can tell!
Great detail.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:27 PM   #4

Hi Paul,

It's an easy lens to like. . . I've gotten other lenses that cover the FL range -- and more, but they don't do everything as well as the Tamron.

With this lens, an external flash, a good flash modifier, and the DA* 50-135, you can cover most situations where you're shooting people with very close-to-prime image quality, IMO. As you've found, it's also a great flower lens.

I've subsequently bought the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 and the Pentax FA 28-105/3.2-4.5, but continue to go back the the Tamron 28-75/2.8 as my goto lens for normal to short tele situations. It's one of the few zooms that I've owned that I'd rate close to "10" in both handling and IQ.

I was very surprised when Kjell couldn't get a good one in three tries. I can only imagine that they had a relatively small run that had QC problems, and he had a "wrong place, wrong time" experience. It's good to hear that they seem to be back on track -- this lens deserves the great rep that it had earned over the past 4-5 years.

If your experience is anything like mine, the more you use this lens, the better you'll like it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:21 AM   #5

Paul, I like the first one because it looks almost animal like! Some kind of dinosaur or something. I also like the dog because it is well exposed which isn't always so easy with a black coat.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:11 PM   #6

Great pictures, that lens is already a long time on my wish list.
Probably will stay on the list for some time ... :roll:

Enjoy your new toy

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:10 PM   #7

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Paul, I like the first one because it looks almost animal like! Some kind of dinosaur or something. I also like the dog because it is well exposed which isn't always so easy with a black coat.

Glenn
Glenn, you saw what I did on that first one. The particular arrangement of the petals caught my attention and made me keep that shot out of a group of these flowers (weeds). I think I got lucky on the dog shot because I very seldom shoot the built-in flash, but I was too lazy to go inside and get the 540.

Thanks for the kind comments, all. Assuming good weather tomorrow, I'm going over to the botanical gardens and shoot tulips and give the lens a good workout. The tulips should be just about at their peak.

Paul

(One of those times I can say "hooray for school schedules!) I began my spring break this afternoon when I left the classroom and will be out till the 30th.)
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:15 AM   #8

Hmmm - I've been thinking of getting something in this range to replace the kit lens. I really like the first one - lovely colors and sharpness, and the others are excellent also. Definitely something to think about now - I'm going to keep my eye out for others you take with this lens.

P.S. Your spring break is the same as ours. However, they only give us next Friday off (sigh!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote