Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:40 AM   #1

Evening Everyone,

I have been doing some reading across the various camera sites that include Pentax for a number of reasons - the least of which to just get my mind off of work, after hours. This is not intended to be a panic post at all....

Even though its has been a couple of weeks of prusing the other boards, I have really enjoyed not seeing anything posted here - as strange as that might sound. So why am I posting this here and now. Well simply, that the K20 (body) is on sale, at a pretty fantastic price, and I am starting to sense that it might be a clearance. Who knows what the future will bring, and I just saw on another web site that Pentax Canada is raising their lens prices on April 1st by about a couple of hundred dollars (Canadian) each. So, I thought that I would post the information - just so that everyone at least knew and would not be surprised.So over the last several weeks, Pentax has somewhat let out of the bag, that the K20 is the end of the line for this particular camera body design. The successor - that they refer to as the "summer camera", in that its forecasted release date is the summer of 2009 will be somewhat of a new design - a replacement for the K200, with capabilities beyond the K20, that apparently supports a slightly new lens design.

Rather than go in to everything here - because I will get it wrong - plus until Pentax actually lays out what they are going to do, I thought that I would just reference (link) the posts on the other boards... If you are interested you can read it.Essentially what I believe all of this distills down to is...
  • Obviously there will be a new camera body that is not a replacement to the K20, but will be somewhat smaller, designed as a replacement to the k200 with capabilities beyond the K20.[/*]
  • There appears to be a patent application for a slight change to the lens design for Pentax, that others have looked at and their thinking is that it is to accommodate a slightly faster AF design using contrast detect.[/*]
  • Pentax had adjusted their lens roadmap and then has taken it down lately.
    [/*]
Right now I have a K100 that suits me just fine - especially the physical size. There are a number of new capabilities I would really like to see, but they are not really pressing that much, since I picked up a Panasonic LX3 to augument my K100, especially on business trips that I have travel light on. The K20 is everything I could ever want (and then some), however I would like it a bit smaller and lighter (but you can't have everything). I now have essentially all the lenses I feel I need/want - 10-17FE, 12-24, 16-45, 55-300 and I picked up an old 50/1.7 manual for a song. I have no strong LBA at least for right now. I have $700 sitting in my drawer that I am thinking about possibly spending on a K20 or putting towards a new body when my skills tell me I could really make use of it. Actually, I have been just enjoying taking pictures!!!!!

So everyone that's what I have come across lately...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:39 AM   #2

IO,

I have been doing much reading too.

I actually bought a K20 from B&H last week. When is arrived, it was used! I returned it and they are out of body only k20's. Adorama has been out too. It wasn't really a panic buy, more of an impulse because of the outstanding price but all the talk of the new cam "features" spurred me on too. If I REALLY wanted one, they are available from other outlets.Now I am holding out for the new body. If it has improved AF tracking and a bit higher frame rate, I am there!

I'm skeptical and intrigued by all the talk, and very few people actually know anything, truthfully, about what the cam will be like. Video?...Eh, I have a camcorder for that. LiveView? I used to have a superzoom with EVF and used the viewfinder anyway.

I want a body that is closer to the state of the art in photographic performance, not a Swiss Army Knife with compromises in important photographic functions.

I still like my K10 alot. Once I got the AF issue straightened out, it has been bulletproof.

Sorry to ramble on....stream of consciousness.

Dennis

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:26 AM   #3

Until a company shows a prototype or at least issues a formal announcement of a new product, rumors are just that - they don't even reach the status of "vaporware" (software or hardware products that have been announced but haven't appeared). Technology moves fast, and better things are always going to come - you can wait forever without making a move. If something suits at the moment and will serve for some time to come (as older and still used models have done), and the price is right, you might as well bite the bullet and buy it while you still can..

And what happens if you don't like the next one and the last ones are gone? :shock:
There is an old saying: If you snooze, you lose.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:08 PM   #4

Penolta,

I have thought of that, too. AND the price continues to drop on the K20.

I also need a fast zoom like the 50-135 or Sigma 70-200 2.8. And I have heard rumblings of substantial price increases happeningtoo, especially in Canada but supposedly here too based on the yen/dollar valuation.

Decisions, decisions...I'm driving my wife crazy!
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
And what happens if you don't like the next one and the last ones are gone? :shock:
... and that's really the only reason why I even started this thread...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote