Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 21, 2009, 8:39 PM   #1

It's officially the first weekend of Spring, and the tulips decided to cooperate this year for the annual Tulip festival at the local botanical garden. It was a great time to try out my new Tamron lens. Literally tens of thousands of tulips linked the garden's walkways

These are a few of my favorites from the day. Each was shot in RAW and PP in Adobe Lightroom. None of them required further processing.

What a shame I have to go back tomorrow since my wife chose not to go today. :-)

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:33 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

A colorful feast for the eyes following Winter! All very nice. Looks like that new lens is a keeper! Tulips have not blossomed yet in these parts...just the daffodils so far.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:40 PM   #3

Very beautiful Paul.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:53 PM   #4

Hi Paul,

Very nice! Looking at your pics gives me some hope that Spring may actually be on the way -- it still looks and feels like Winter here.:roll:

Are these lenses still made in Japan? I recall seeing someone offer one for sale touting "Made in Japan" as a feature, and the question came to mind. . .:-?

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5

Very nice pictures! Lovely color and the shots look really sharp.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:17 AM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Are these lenses still made in Japan? I recall seeing someone offer one for sale touting "Made in Japan" as a feature, and the question came to mind. . .:-?

Scott
I'll believe it's really Spring when we no longer have to cancel soccer matches because of freezing rain and sleet (1 week ago), but we supposedly have some nice weather coming in.

I don't really know if the Tamron lens is still made in Japan. The copy I bought off E-bay was described as "New-open box." I suspect it might be a couple of years old, although I have no reason to believe it is, in fact, a used lens. All original packaging, holograms, etc. were intact. I do think it is the current model, however, because the macro ratio is listed at 1:4; the earlier version was 1:3. According to the box, it was made in Japan.

Paul
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:25 AM   #7

Very nice sharp shots with great contrast and color.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:51 AM   #8

Paul

The lens is a very capable one indeed as shown in these trial shots.
I recall you had the DA*16-50mm? Maybe I am wrong. How would you compare the two if you have the DA* zoom?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:18 AM   #9

You're far ahead of us, thanks for this beautiful reminder that better times are around the corner.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2009, 8:18 AM   #10

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
The lens is a very capable one indeed as shown in these trial shots.
I recall you had the DA*16-50mm? Maybe I am wrong. How would you compare the two if you have the DA* zoom?
Daniel, I do not have the DA*16-50. When my kit lens was stolen last summer, I replaced it with a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC (non-macro version). It's an excellent lens. This photo was taken with the Sigma a week ago. Composition, lighting, etc. are similar to the last tulip in the original post.

My initial feel is that the colors are a little more vibrant on the Tamron and it seemed to take less tweaking in PP to get what I wanted. This also may well be the excitement of a new toy, but the shots I took yesterday with the Tamron required virtually no post-processing and pretty much came out of the camera as you see posted. One more with the Tamron.

Paul