Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:37 AM   #1

The K20 came just as I came home from work. I didn't figure in that the battery would take 2 hours to charge, but there was still light out. The battery cover is a nice touch - but need to remember that I need to order a backup battery. I finally was able to set it up and was able to take some images as the sun was going down. There is a learning curve to this beast. Its about as large as I anticipated (maybe a tad larger - especially when put side by side with the K100) and a bit heavier than the K100, but is very manageable. It fit right into my hands - funny how that works.

It is going to be a while until I am reasonably competent with this - and its going to take a while. I just might get back into the truck and try out some night shots. I also want to try some sunrise shots too.

The first images were actually not too bad - however nothing to rave about. They are all a bit too dark, but will improve as I learn how to use the unit.

Anyway - here are my first attempts.... all with the 55-300.

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:40 AM   #2

Here is another...
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:45 AM   #3

I was trying to get out of the "green" mode and try what I thought I had "learned", obviously I need to hit the books a bit more....

This is the head of the "Camel" of Camelback Mountain.

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:10 AM   #4

Yeah! Now you've got the whole weekend to play around with it. Were you really up at nearly 2 a.m. playing with your new toy? :-)

I've mostly got mine set on A/V. And, still learning. You're right. Lots to learn with this camera. And, I don't think I ever really learned everything on the K100. Today will be trying to check my lenses for back/front focusing. Attempted yesterday, but discovered my level on my tripod is broken. So, heading over to Hunt's to see what they can do for me. From what I did attempt, my 18-55 is front focusing.

Nice shots for the first ones. Have fun this weekend and post more images.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:24 AM   #5

If you have a sunny weekend just take it out and shoot using multiple settings on the wheel and you will get a handle on it fairly fast. Then it is fine tuning to get it wher you want to be.

Have fun!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:30 AM   #6

I really like your picture of Camelback Mountain, with the fading sunlight on it. Try that one again at the same time of day and use the 5 frame exposure bracketing feature on the camera - I can imagine that would make a wonderful HDR shot. That will give you something to experiment with!

The K20 does produce pictures that are different in saturation than the K100, and it is far less forgiving when it comes to showing up whatever faults a lens might have. You can't quite process the picture the same way as the K100 pictures, either.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:50 PM   #7

Hi Patty, No, at 2am this kid was fast asleep, it must have been the time difference which is now 3 hours with day light savings (Arizona declines to participate, so we are now on Pacific time). ... and yes, I am still trying to figure out the wheels, which one goes where and when.

Tom, The sunny weekend is a given here - actually, we have too much. Would you like me to send you some?

and Harriet, I have not set up the bracketing yet, but Yes, that is exactly my plan.

Here are some more of Camelback this morning using the 16-45.

Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2009, 12:51 PM   #8

... and of the Camel's head again, this time in the morning light.

I need to get up a bit earlier to catch the first light, before the colors become washed out with the harsher direct sunlight. CamelBack Mountain is on an east-west axis. Winter sunrises are not far enough north to illuminate the north side face in the winter. With the sunrise now moving further north on each successive day, the mountain will be having the colors and shadows that would be for a very interesting image - especially using HDR. Unfortunately, I just need to get up earlier on the weekends to actually catch the right conditions.
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:50 PM   #9

Hey IO.
Congrats on getting your K20, I know you're going to love it. You have some great shooting op's out there. I hope you don't mind me playing around with one of your shots of Camelback,
GW:bye:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:46 PM   #10

GW - I don't mind at all, actually the more I see, the more I learn. Actually, you are very close. About 20 minutes earlier, the reds are more pronounced, with the deeper shadows along with larger faces that are in the sunlight.

I am just trudging along here with the camera and the manual.... (while trying to get some things actually done around the house).