Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1

Hi All,

Weather's been horrible here, cold and rainy. Earlier in the week, I got a little stir crazy and had to go out and shoot something, so I went to the River Trail Nature Center with the K20 and the D FA 100 Macro to get some shots of their indoor exhibits -- nothing exotic, but a chance to do something different.

The first are for Harriet:

Some of the other inhabitants:

. . . and the obligatory bird:

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Scott, What else can I say but that the "Eyes Have it"! All excellent captures with the one of the snake being my favorite! Were the subjects behind glass?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:06 PM   #3

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Scott,* What else can I say but that the "Eyes Have it"!* All excellent captures with the one of the snake being my favorite! Were the subjects behind glass?
Hi Jay,

Thanks! All were behind glass except for the first and last. I also llike how the snake turned out.

Scott
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4

Hi Scott! A bit strange to see macro shot from you (did you use stacked converters with the macro lens?:-)). But obviously you excel in this class as well. How tame is that bird?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:35 PM   #5

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Hi Scott! A bit strange to see macro shot from you (did you use stacked converters with the macro lens?:-)). But obviously you excel in this class as well. How tame is that bird?
Hi Kjell,

No stacked converters. . . but I was tempted:roll:. I'm currently petitioning Pentax to make a new model with a built-in 1.7x AFA module so I no longer would have to stack TCs to get the reach I want. . .:-). I've also found that the K20 is way too light without at least 5 lbs of lens hanging off of it.:-)

The American Kestrel pictured is actually too "tame". She was raised by humans from birth, and unfortunately they didn't know how to feed a bird of this type. They almost killed her with their "kindness", feeding her only cooked meat. The meat diet didn't give her all the elements of nutrition that she required for good health, as they need the calcium from the bones, etc. By the time the NC got her, she had lost most of her feathers, and was near death. This is apparently a common scenario when people try to keep Raptors as pets. She alsso never learned the hunting skills she would need to survive in the wild, so she's now a permanent member of the NC's family. She's very healthy now, and gorgeous.

Scott
Old Mar 29, 2009, 2:51 PM   #6

I know how you feel Scott, I haven't been able to get out too much myself the past two weeks.
I love the snake, great detail! and the first turtle is really something.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 6:45 PM   #7

That red eared slider is just awesome! Certainly better than most of the pictures I've managed of them when at the botanical gardens.

That's a neat story about the kestrel - love a story with a happy ending. While some might think it's sad for a nature center or zoo to have some of the raptors as exhibits, so often it is a win-win situation. The San Diego Wild Animal Park has a bald eagle that's a permanent resident - it had been a wild bird but had been injured. The park nursed it back to health but its injuries won't allow it to survive in the wild. So the park has it on display, where many people can see one who might never see one in the wild, and kids can (hopefully) develop an appreciation for these magnificent birds. Same thing with the Kestrel.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 7:08 PM   #8

Great pictures -- all of them. I know what you mean about getting stir crazy. We're in that awful time of year when unpaved roads are partly thawed (but not entirely), what snow we have left is dirty and ugly, the grass is brown, etc. For the next couple of weeks, whatever photography I do will be mostly indoors.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote