Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:39 PM   #1

Got another beautiful day today so I took just my youngest for a walk along the Niagara River at Niawanda Park in Tonawanda, NY. This place will look much nicer once the leaves and flowers start growing in, but life is slowly starting to return here from the dead of winter. As always, comments welcome.

Looking south down the river towards the south Grand Island Bridges.

This is looking northward, where the lighthouse is the Erie Canal entrance is on the right.

This was one of only 2 ducks I've seen around here so far. In the summer they are all over the place. A male and a female, the female was off to the left which you see in the following picture.

Another view of the Lighthouse from a little closer.

This is the same duck couple from earlier but this time they are both taking a rest on a chunk of ice.

Looking towards the South Grand Island Bridges again, from this spot you can see more of the bridges.

Thank you for looking.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:32 PM   #2

Good photos, makes me envious that I was unable to get outside today.

I've travelled over the Grand Island Bridge numerous times but never realized what was hiddenbelow other than the river. It's nice that communities around the Great Lakes can set aside areas like Niwanda Park and others for recreation.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:54 PM   #3

These are nice Mike,
love the mallards.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:13 PM   #4

Neat pictures! The funny thing is with the third one - I find the crooked path fascinating - that's about the first thing I noticed. I know, that's not what you had planned on showing, but its what caught my eye. Since we are well into spring, it looks funny to see the ice still on the river.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:41 AM   #5

bluenose wrote:
Quote:
Good photos, makes me envious that I was unable to get outside today.

¬*I've travelled over the Grand Island Bridge numerous times but never realized what was hidden¬*below other than the river.¬* It's nice that communities around the Great Lakes can set aside areas like Niwanda Park and others for recreation.

Regards
I agree that it's kind of a hidden gem along the river on the US side. The typical image we tend to see is the over industrial view of the factories. The part of the river that's hidden away behind Grand Island, from the Canadian perspective, is probably the nicest and it's a shame it has to be that way. I'm a canuck living over here and it's fun to find these nice places all around that no one expects. As folks probably know from my pictures, I like to try and showcase the good things in and around this area that no one knows about that were always here. There is quite a bit to see around here and I make an effort, even with 3 young children (5, 3 and 1), to get out and see it, for my enjoyment and for my children's sake so they know what they are missing. Someday they will appreciate it.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:46 AM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Neat pictures! The funny thing is with the third one - I find the crooked path fascinating - that's about the first thing I noticed. I know, that's not what you had planned on showing, but its what caught my eye. Since we are well into spring, it looks funny to see the ice still on the river.
Well, the path was definitely intended to be in the shot to show the activity, even though a little sparse for such a nice day. The curviness does kind of add to the picture I agree.

As for the ice, wait til they take out the ice boom at the mouth of the river and let the rest of it flow free so that it can go over the falls and off to Lake Ontario on it's eventual journey to the Atlantic. They put up the ice boom every year to restrict the flow of ice down the river as it tends to cause a lot of damage at the base of Niagara Falls when it accumulates. With the boom the amount of accumulation is significantly less. Many many years past the amount of ice at the base of the falls was enough that people could walk from the Canadian side to the US side across it. It also destroyed what is now the Rainbow Bridge(I can't recall the name of the bridge back then). If you do a google search for images you can find some that show this huge ice dam at the base of the falls.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:47 AM   #7

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
These are nice Mike,
love the mallards.
GW:bye:
Yes, those mallards seem to have some character. So long as the local chinese restaurant doesn't try to catch them for lunch(true story).
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8

Nice, Mike. I like the one of the lighthouse with the black railing leading to it.

We don't have quite as much ice left. But, we definitely still have the plain bare trees.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote