Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:37 PM   #1

Anyone use a wacom Bamboo fun tablet or similar item for editing photos?
I just got one but, not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. seems a bit awkward to me and doesn't act right with my two monitors. :-?
Any opinions?

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:10 PM   #2

GW, I have one I got a few years ago. It does take some getting used to. Just like when you first learned how to use a mouse. Only reason I haven't been using it is I share a computer with the hubby and he didn't like it being out all the time. He also didn't like the feel of the mouse with it. But, once you master it, it makes for much finer control over things.

What do you mean it doesn't act right with your monitors?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:38 PM   #3

I have the Intuos4 tablet and like Patty said, at first it seems extremely hard to work with, but after some time it will make you life much easier when editing photos.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:19 AM   #4

I have a cheap tablet, and find that it is very useful in some circumstances. It is not something I would use exclusively, but for fine but relaxed control it is more natural then the mouse

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 4:16 AM   #5

I have the Wacom graphire, which I use mainly for picture editing where it's worth it's weight in gold, I have on occasion used it in place of a mouse for general browsing ...

it does take a lot of practice to become proficient with it, I much prefer to use a trackball mouse for browsing. Both trackball and tablet are permanently connected.

I also have a large Medion tablet connected to a second PC, this size I think are more suited to graphic artists, fortunately it can be configured in the software to use a

smaller area, which I find more useful in picture editing. To be honest I wouldn't like to be without the tablets, I did find them very difficult initially, you do need to

practice a lot. Just my thoughts. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:40 AM   #6

I love my Wacom graphire! But one reason is I'm left handed. I use a standard mouse (right handed) for browsing etc. I only use the tablet with pen for image editing. I also use two monitor with nothing on the main monitor but the image that I am working on, and all the pallets etc on the second monitor. Therefore I map the tablet to the main monitor only and use the mouse to select from the menu etc.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:06 PM   #7

I have a Bamboo, haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet but when I do get it right it is far more intuitive than a mouse.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:04 PM   #8

Thank you for all your replies Guys.
I do appreciate it!
looks like I'm going to keep it and learn to use it. I did use it a bit Friday for one pic that was pretty intensive pixel by pixel detail work and I'm thinking with some practice it will become quite an asset.

Patty, it's weird, sometimes it will work with both monitors and sometimes it won't. sometimes I can run off the pad and the pointer still won't move to the tool pallet. :-? very strange. also I don't like the fact that you can't reposition the pointer like you can with the mouse by lifting it and setting it back down in a different place on the the pad.

Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:09 PM   #9

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
I love my Wacom graphire! But one reason is I'm left handed. I use a standard mouse (right handed) for browsing etc. I only use the tablet with pen for image editing. I also use two monitor with nothing on the main monitor but the image that I am working on, and all the pallets etc on the second monitor. Therefore I map the tablet to the main monitor only and use the mouse to select from the menu etc.
Hey tj,
I do the same thing, picture only on my largest monitor, I like the idea of mapping the tablet to that one monitor, can you tell me how to do that?

Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:40 PM   #10

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Hey tj,
I do the same thing, picture only on my largest monitor, I like the idea of mapping the tablet to that one monitor, can you tell me how to do that?

If you have a windows computer open your control panel. From there open the "Wacom Tablet Properties" The icon will look like a tablet with the pen on it. Once open you will see three tabs. Click the "mapping" tab then select the options you want. I suggest you look this over good before you close it. You can adjust the pen sensitivity. You can customize the tablet for each program you use. Change the functions of the buttons. (I find setting the top button on the pen to act as the ALT key works well in PS)

One more thing if you open the programs you use before you open the tablet properties the will appear on a drop down list so you can add them for customization. Otherwise you will have to browse for the exe file

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote