Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:17 AM   #11

Under certain circumstances, I am a big fan of HDR. Two examples below processed in Photomatix Pro. The first are the railroad tracks near my home. Would not have been possible without HDR as the light variations were just too great. Taken with K10D, Sigma 18-250. The second is the entrance valley to Millford Sound New Zealand. Much more of the beauty and light contrasts. Taken with lowly Panasonic FZ8.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:21 AM   #12

Entrance to Millford Sound New Zealand.
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:16 PM   #13

I agree that HDR can be useful, but isn't the end-all. One of the sets I took of a stream included a busy path and the people weren't in the same place - made for a mess in that corner. Also, the first series of pictures I took were in the botanical garden, and it was breezy. There was ghosting because of this - the motion was more than the program's alignment option could handle.

I added some more to the top of the stump and it helped quite a bit. Thanks for the suggestion!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:00 PM   #14

For me, the key to HDR is that it doesn't look like HDR.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:25 AM   #15

Hi Harriet. I agree with what Keltech and Kjell said. On the interior shot I would do a final step of adjusting the verticals. It appeals to my sense of geometry and is quickly and easily done. As the others said the first lake scene appeals more- better contrast.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 8:10 AM   #16

Harriet, for me HDR it getting the DR without making the image look like HDR with its hard contrast.

I found out with my shot of the Golden Gate Bridge, that any shot with movement (both the cars and the bridge move) will get you a softer image than I normally want and the software can't fix it. I also found out that the HDR part of CS3 is pretty lame compared to Photomatix and produces pretty poor results.

I really like the shots with the beached pontoon boat and the water flowing.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:15 PM   #17

bb - can't believe I missed that step - normally that's the first thing I do. But with this one, I was just so delighted with the HDR results that I forgot about fixing the vertical lines. Normally that drives me nuts.

Tom - I don't think CS4 is any better. I played around with it a bit a month or so ago, and ended up having better results with the old fashioned way of doing layers - lighter under darker, copy lighter layer and paste it on a layer mask attached to the darker layer. Apply gaussian blur to the layer mask, then adjust opacity as appropriate. Just about any version of Photoshop can do that. But the results from Photo Matix are really nice if everything can line up. I was surprised at how capable it is for lining up the subjects - I took just about everything either hand-held or with a monopod and discovered that the monopod didn't help me keep the camera in the same place for 5 frames. But in many cases the program was able to line things up appropriately.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 7:59 AM   #18

I've just bought Photomatix as well.I'm also from MA and was wondering how many others from MA shoot it as well.I have a few also I would like you to look at.As I said i tried FDRTools,Dynamic Photo,PictureNaut(Free),Photomatix,and HDR Max.
I really liked HDR Max ,but the images with the same processing were very noisy.I'm still having a bit of a hard time with the skies and dark areas being rather noisy.Any advice on shooting the exposures and how you do it?
I realize the Bridge one is a bit overdone,but I'm still experimenting
Attached Images

Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:02 AM   #19

Harriet, hadn't seen this post, glad it did now.

As Kjell said these are the best hdr I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for the tip to sharpen the image before merging them. Going to 'try to remember it' and try it next time I'm trying a hdr compilation

Cheers

Ronny
Old May 19, 2009, 12:54 PM   #20

I can't add much to what has already been said - much more realistic than many overprocessed images I have seen. The first of the pair you asked about looks best to me, too. Well done.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote