Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:12 AM   #31

Great colors Paul, but what is that diamond shaped thing on the right? By the way it just goes to show you, good things happen at (or on the way home from) soccer games!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:38 AM   #32

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Great colors Paul, but what is that diamond shaped thing on the right? By the way it just goes to show you, good things happen at (or on the way home from) soccer games!

Glenn
I'm going to take a guess and say it is a road sign of sorts??
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:13 PM   #33

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:

Glenn
I'm going to take a guess and say it is a road sign of sorts??
Good guess....it is a diamond-shaped road information sign in the near foreground. I liked the ambiguity the lack of DOF cues gave. Is it a close sign, a large advertising sign further away, or a really uniquely-shaped building on the horizon?

And, as to the unasked question, yes it was a victorious trip home from the match. :-)

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 8:48 PM   #34

Paul - your picture is interesting, I can see why you like it. The sunset colors are striking and the signs make it rather abstract.

GW - your swans are pretty, but the picture looks a bit dark on my monitor. Could be just my monitor, but you might try adjusting the levels a bit and see if it looks better (or blows out the first swan - something to be careful with). If others say it looks OK, then it's my monitor.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:16 PM   #35

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
GW - your swans are pretty, but the picture looks a bit dark on my monitor. Could be just my monitor, but you might try adjusting the levels a bit and see if it looks better (or blows out the first swan - something to be careful with). If others say it looks OK, then it's my monitor.
I'd been thinking the same thing and thought maybe it was my monitor. Maybe select just the non-swan areas and lighten them some.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:13 PM   #36

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Paul - your picture is interesting, I can see why you like it. The sunset colors are striking and the signs make it rather abstract.

Harriet & Patty,
I agree, and thanks for saying so, my wife told me to leave it alone! :P
I'll play with it some more and see what I can do, I
was having a problem with blowing out the front swan.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 5:00 AM   #37

A beautiful photo! My reaction as to contrast is the nearly perpindicular placement between the clouds and the beachline.

Sorry I am a landlubber. Nothing like oceans.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:28 PM   #38

The architect Frank Gehry designed the Ray and Maria Stata Center at MIT in Cambridge, MA. It is a whimsical building of 720,000Sq feet (67,000M[sup]2[/sup]) andhouses three MIT departments: the Computer Sciences and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, and the Department of Linguistics and Philosophy.

I thought this was a good choice for contrasts as it has contrasting colors, shapes, materials, textures, and finishes. It is an eye bender and in places looks like it is about to topple over. The picture was taken with a K100D and a Zenitar 16mm 2.8 lens. At f5.8 (The exif data says 50mm as I did not bother to change it).
Attached Images

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:01 PM   #39

Some interesting thoughts (as in the Amish buggy and aircraft) and amazing images this month.

Keltech, I'll have to go check that one out. Looks very intriguing. The portion on the right in your image almost looks like a modern "old woman in the shoe" home.

Just a tidbit of info, the shapes of the signs in Paul's posting are actually quite informational. Signs shapes are determined by the message they are conveying. See http://www.trafficsign.us/signshape.htmland http://www.answerbag.com/articles/Ho...1-b5e11fcf98ff

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:48 PM   #40

Keltech - what a fascinating picture and building! Definitely contrast, it's the type of building I'd love to take a look at. I might not like it when I see it (my taste tends to be more traditional) but I'd spend many minutes trying to take it all in. Somehow I don't think the departments of linguistics and philosophy quite fit in with all the computer related departments, so that sounds like another contrast.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote