Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:14 AM   #1

I've been really undecided whether I should choose a topic that on the surface sounds easy, but really isn't; or play it "safe" and choose a topic that sounds more restrictive, but is so open to interpretation that's its very broad, and positively invites creative thinking. I'm not sure that I truly understand the first topic (which is why I would like to choose it - to get others brainstorming about it and see what you all come up with). But if I'm not exactly sure I understand the topic, how can I possibly mediate it? So perhaps I'll bring up light as a picture's subject/important component another time, in another non-challenge topic, where others can give me some ideas of how to use light better/more imaginatively.

Instead (playing it safe), this month's topic is Contrast. Contrast can be interpreted in a number of different ways - it can be subject (Ira's (non) entry last month, the two trucks), shapes (Daz's shot last month with the blocks and the moon), light (my most common choice) and so on. It doesn't have to be complete opposites though it can be.

As a start photo, here's one that I took in January, so it doesn't qualify. It's an example of light/dark contrast (it's the only one I spotted quickly that I've taken recently that would apply):

As usual, entries must be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR and within the last 90 days. Please have the longest side be 800 pixels as this keeps everything easier to compare pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Hmmm - over 24 hours and no comments. That means either the topic is lousy, or there's not much interest in the monthly challenges any more.

I'm happy to change to something else (how about using depth of field for effect?) or should we drop it completely? Let me know.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Don't despair...I have an entry...just need to resize it and post it (hopefully tonight)!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:54 AM   #4

Harriet, I think it's a fine topic. Just haven't had many chances to get out and shoot anything this week.

Patt
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5

Harriet, the topic is a good one, but probably too loosely defined for quick responses. Last months was a bit esoteric, too, and drew fewer responses than usual. Something topical that busy people can relate to might get a better response - there have been a lot of pictures posted of early flowers, thawing lakes, weather phenomena, etc. Something simple that people are attuned to at the moment like "Signs of Spring" might draw an immediate response from those already taking such pictures.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:43 PM   #6

Hello Harriet,

I like the topic. 'Just haven't got my thinking cap on yet. <grin>

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:11 PM   #7

Penolta - I did consider "sign of the times",but we did thateither last year or the year before. I definitely wouldn't say "spring" as too many folks downunder aregetting intoautumn. But I suppose a good topic is one that can be repeated(I've been out looking for wildflowers a couple of weekends).
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:50 PM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Let me kick things off with image: "Contrast in Color." K20D + DA*16-50 mm shot in Raw.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:03 PM   #9

Definitely contrasty!
Nice one, jelpee.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:21 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I definitely wouldn't say "spring" as too many folks down¬*under are¬*getting into¬*autumn.
"Changing Seasons" might have been more appropriate then, but it looks like "Contrast" is going to stick.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote