Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11

Patty,

Yes I remember the Street Cars as I took them every Sunday to go and visit my Grandfather.

I have never seen lens hood shadow but I do get corner darkening when I use a circular polarizer with this lens.]My polarizer is a Hoya HMC Multi-Coated. This lens may need a thin polarizer but few are available at a price I would be willing to pay. For the most part I like the CP and use it often in taking landscape photos.

light focusing is difficult as the lens at 6.3 is slow. I find that when this is a problem I go to manual focus and have good results.

I thought that as long as you venture down to the Boston area I would mention another place nearby Franklin Park that you may enjoy and that is the Arnold Arboretum. It is in Jamaica Plain and every Mothers Day they have a Lilac festival. It's a photographers delight. It is the crown jewel of the "Emerald Necklace" that surrounds Boston.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:57 PM   #12

congrats on the new lens Patty,
looks like it will do the job!

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:04 PM   #13

Thanks, jelpee and GW. Yes, I do like the lens. I probably would have opted for it instead of the same combo when I got my K100, too, to start with.

Lou - I'll pass the word about the street cars. For the lens hood problem, I can't figure it out. Here are two photos taken 20 seconds apart. Oneshows something on the left and the right, the other doesn't. First one 18mm, f7.1, 1/125, ISO100, spot metering, SP. Second, only change is f8.0.

I had tried manual focus on the zebras, but had turned the focus ring all the way till it stopped and it still didn't look in focus to me, nor was the symbol showing in the viewfinder. I should have tried it at the beach tonight, but the person I was with isn't that much into photography.

Hmmm, I will definitely have to check out the Arnold Arboretum. Sounds wonderful.

Patty
Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:06 PM   #14

These images are straight out of the camera, only resized. And, not exactly the best photography in the world.:-)
Attached Images

Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15

Very nice shots Patty. For a long time I said I would not consider an 18-250 lens because such a wide zoom range involves too many optical compromises. but a couple of weeks ago, while taking shots of the "Seussical" musical play put on by our high school, I missed several good photos because I was switching lenses at critical moments. I suddenly completely understood the value of an all-in-one lens.
I don't know the Boston area very well, but our son is attending college just south of Boston, and our daughter wants to go to college in the Boston area also, so it looks like I might get to know the area better in the next several years.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:35 PM   #16

I'm not sure that what you are seeing is the lens hood. I sometimes have problems with the DA12-24 when I don't have the lens hood on quite right. Then I get a bit of the hood, OOF, in the corners. But if you look at the right side, the shape doesn't look right - it's got a part in the center of the black part that's curved much more than the rest of the black part. Definitely strange.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:05 AM   #17

Patty,

I have never seen anything like that from my 18-250. I am also seeing a flesh tone on the lower right. It looks almost as if the SD card did not complete saving the file. If it continues try changing your SD card. If that isn't the culprit return the lens for a new copy.

Lou

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:05 AM   #18

I will experiment some today to see if I can recreate. I'm thinking I'm not positiveI had the hood on at that point. I was just assuming it was and that's what I was seeing. But, I know I had it on the whole rest of the day.

The card I was using that day was my newest 4GB SandiskII (I think that's it) and I had just reformatted it before we left. I took exactly 350 photos that day. These were the 6th - 10th of the 350. No other photos had this happen. I did note the times. They started with #6 at 11:11:14 and, 11:11:36, 11:11:38, 11:11:42, 11:11:44. So, five shots in 30 seconds. I was not in burst mode. I'll try taking a quick series again like that and see if it happens again. I'll also try it with another lens. Maybe it's the card.

I could return the lens, but I picked it up used from someone on Craig's List. He had told me I could return it to him up to two weeks, but that he'd never had a problem with it. He was a geaky, can't tell a lie sort of guy. He even showed me a tiny little scratch (and I mean tiny) on the hood and said if I didn't want it for that he'd understand.

Patty
Old Apr 10, 2009, 8:47 PM   #19

Okay. I went out at lunch time today and again after work and tried to recreate the dark areas. Just couldn't do it. Took a few series one after the other today with the same settings as the ones Sunday and they all came out fine. No delays in saving the files.

Here is an image of the lens hood showing what I'm thinking are the stripes in the other photo. The only thing I can figure is I didn't get the lens hood on right and was maybe just holding it in place explaining why some with and without the black areas. I was quick getting out and inthe car as hubby can be quite impatient if the traffic starts moving and I'm not in the car.

Since I've taken nearly 400 photos now and only those five in a row photos showed that I'm chalking it up to human error.

But, I am starting another post regarding the focusing issue. I am not sure if it's the lens or me.

Patty
Attached Images