Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:38 PM   #1

Well, my hunt for a zoom lens for taking on vacation has ended . I picked one up Sunday. ThePentax smc DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF is what I decided on. So, we had to go try it out somewhere.:-)

Went to the zoo in south Boston for a few hours. It took me a little while to get used to locking the lens in place when I wasn't actually taking photos, but not long. Became second hand in no time.

Here are a few of the shots. I'll post more in my gallery later.

The entrance to the lion's den.

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:39 PM   #2

And, the lion. He was the only one and spent quite a bit of the afternoon roaring, then lying around.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:41 PM   #3

Lions.... and tigers.

This one was hard as he was in a caged in area and very close to the fence. I had to be at a angle to the fence to get any portion of his face. When he was willing to cooperate and slightly turn in my direction. I don't know if there's anything I can do about the fencing showing in the photo.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:43 PM   #4

Lions....and tigers..... and no, no bears. But, there were these cute little birds. I don't remember what they were called. Again, taken through very fine netting. So, could be sharper.

Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:46 PM   #5

This camel was hilarious. He was lying around, like most of the other animals were doing. But, he was doing this "round" (don't know how else to describe it) chew of the hay. Then, later in the day he was lying right in front of a tree stump so his mouth was right at the tree and chewing away on it. Looked very lazy. He didn't even have to move his head.

Again, problems with the fencing. I have some other shots that I did a better job of hiding the fencing, but the camel isn't in great focus.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:49 PM   #6

And, last, just to show that spring is coming. This crocus was by the gate when we left. I haven't seen any up in NH yet.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:30 PM   #7

I know what you mean about fences - they are really hard to deal with. I think you did quite well with these. Looks like you are going to have a good time with the lens. By the way, after having a glorious couple of spring weeks, our weather has returned to winter. It's anyone's guess what it will be like next week. And don't bother going out to the Antelope Valley - the poppies died last week and there wasn't much of anything other than grass Sunday. The Gorman Hills are nice but not spectacular. It's not a great year for wildflowers, unfortunately.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:38 PM   #8

nhmom,

Looking at your pictures fond memories floated back to me as I spent a lot of time as a youth in the areas around Franklin Park. My Grandfather lived within walking distance of the Zoo and we went there often with my parents. My wife lived about 1.5 miles away from the park when we were dating. The neighborhoods around the park deteriorated for many years and it was deemed unsafe to approach the area.

I liked your pictures and do know how frustrating the fences are when taking pictures in such venues.

I have the Tamron 18-250mm and love the lens for travel. At the wide end there is a bit of distortion but easy to correct in PT Lens. The long end on mine is quite acceptable. Good luck with the new lens! I look forward to seeing your other pictures taken at the Zoo.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:53 AM   #9

Thanks, Harriet and Lou.

Well, guess I'll just have to take tons of family photos. Which I usually do anyway. I used to come home with 4 or 5 rolls of film and that was being conservative.

Lou - My husband said to ask if you remember the street cars around the zoo. He used to live in Newport, RI and they used to go up to FPZ quite often. He said it had changed quite a bit in the last 53 years since he'd been there. And, yes, the area was bad for a while. When we first moved here over 20 years ago we were always told to not go there.

Yes, I did notice some distortion at the wide end. Although, it was nothing that had to be dealt with. And, I found a few photos that show the lens hood. It's strange. It doesn't show in all of them. I'll have to analyze if I was at different zoom spots. Also, I am getting dark corners in some of the shots, too. Not much. Nothing PSE7 can't fix easily.

I did have some problems with focusing at 250mm when I was trying to get the zebras across a large yard. But, took many others at 250mm just fine. I'm not sure if it was that there was nothing for the camera to lock on. I know if I went down to the shadow underneath them I could sometimes get it to lock. But, it's been raining all week whenever I've been available to check it out more.

I'll work on getting the others up in my gallery tonight.

Patty
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:14 AM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Patty, the images look good! I like the detail as well as the color. Image #1 has a nicely saturated sky and sharp detail (I like the composition as well)! The range of this lens continues to have a high degree of desireablity...if it was available at the time I first got my DL, I would have opted for it vs. the 18-55 & 50-200 kit lenses.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote